Police CallsThis information is from the Atherton and Menlo Park police departments and the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office. Under the law, people charged with offenses are considered innocent until convicted.
Grand theft reports:
• Laptop computer stolen from backpack, first block of Valparaiso Ave., May 10.
• Laptop computer stolen, 500 block of Middlefield Road, May 12.
Fraud report: Unauthorized filing of federal and state taxes in victim's name, first block of Walnut Ave., May 6.
• Possible scam leading to loss of $175,000 to $250,000 in nine-month episode of victim giving away money, 500 block of Glenwood Ave., May 11.
• Loss estimated at $7,000 in check fraud, 1100 block of Carlton Ave., May 7.
• Loss of $2,972 in unauthorized use of credit card, 500 block of Windsor Drive, May 6.
• Loss estimated at $1,500 in unauthorized use of Social Security number, 1100 block of Windermere Ave., May 6.
• Loss estimated at $850 in theft from unlocked vehicle of video games and purse containing credit cards and $450 in cash, 1600 block of Marsh Road, May 9.
• Loss unknown in theft of bag from bleachers during basketball game, 500 block of Laurel St., May 9.
Grand theft report: Possible theft of jewelry by family member staying at house, 500 block of St. Francis Place, May 9.
Theft report: Loss estimated at $1,850 in theft of two rings and pair of earrings, possibly by visiting relative, Canada Road, May 6.