More news, information online; also comment on storiesGo to TheAlmanacOnline.com for more news, sports and other information, including stories on:
• The publisher of the Daily News in Palo Alto, the San Mateo County Times in San Mateo, the Mercury News, and many other newspapers in the Bay Area is filing for bankruptcy protection. MediaNews Group Inc., using the name of Affiliates Media Inc., announced it would seek protection from creditors in federal court.
• A search and rescue team based in Menlo Park may be heading to Haiti to help with relief efforts, according to the Menlo Park Fire Protection District.
• A 25-year-old man was arrested early Friday morning after being spotted near homes in Portola Valley where authorities had received reports of a prowler earlier in the week, according to the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office.
• A local drive to raise $50,000 to help victims of the Jan. 12 earthquake in Haiti has been accomplished, the Silicon Valley Community Foundation announced.
• Residents brace for heavy storms.
• Upcoming community events, including the Calendar and Around Town stories.