Search the Archive:

January 19, 2005

Back to the Table of Contents Page

Back to The Almanac Home Page

Classifieds

Publication Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Menlo Watch: Two-story house gets a nod -- sort of Menlo Watch: Two-story house gets a nod -- sort of (January 19, 2005)

A two-story house planned in the Willows neighborhood got the go-ahead from the City Council on January 11 -- but only if it's limited to a single story.

Michelle Harbottle, who already has a one-story home on the lot at 1981 Menalto Ave., had submitted plans to build a two-story house at the back of the lot, with the only vehicle access from an alley running between Elm and Walnut streets.

Neighbors, though, raised concerns about the new home hurting the privacy of nearby residents and said that there were many unresolved questions on the alley regarding ownership, maintenance and safety, senior planner Tracy Cramer wrote in a staff report.

The Planning Commission approved the plan in October, but several neighbors appealed the decision to the council.

In addition, Menlo Park Fire Chief Paul Wilson told the council January 11 that he was concerned about the alley having adequate access for emergency vehicles.

The council voted 3-1-1 to deny the appeal and approve the project -- as long as the house has only one story and can be accessed from Menalto Avenue. Lee Duboc dissented, saying the move doesn't resolve the issues surrounding the alley, and Mickie Winkler recused herself because she lives nearby.

Ms. Harbottle did not respond to an e-mail for comment on the vote.
Council meeting is canceled

The Menlo Park City Council has canceled its Tuesday, January 18, meeting and is scheduled to resume meeting on January 25.

That event begins at 7 p.m. in the council chambers at 701 Laurel St. and is scheduled to include a discussion of ways to improve safety at the busy downtown intersection of Menlo Avenue and University Drive, near Draeger's market.
Vote postponed on home loans

Instead of voting whether to allocate an additional $3.5 million to a loan program for first-time homebuyers in Menlo Park, the City Council on January 11 opted to continue the matter because the hour had gotten late. The council may take up the item again on February 22.

The money would come from the city's fund for below-market-rate housing. It had been earmarked for a housing project, but the council had never defined a specific project, officials said.


E-mail a friend a link to this story.


Copyright © 2005 Embarcadero Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Reproduction or online links to anything other than the home page
without permission is strictly prohibited.