|
Publication Date: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 Fire safety: Sprinkler issue to appear again on Menlo Park council agenda
Fire safety: Sprinkler issue to appear again on Menlo Park council agenda
(August 31, 2005) By Rory Brown
Almanac Staff Writer
Yielding to the requests of a new member of the council and a newly appointed fire chief, the Menlo Park City Council agreed last week to reconsider a proposal to require fire sprinklers in some residences and commercial buildings.
The necessity of fire sprinklers in Menlo Park's buildings has been a topic of emotional debate -- one that has lasted nearly two years.
In June 2004, the council rejected a proposal by the local fire district that would have required sprinklers in newly constructed buildings over 1,000 square feet; single-family homes when alterations and additions exceed 75 percent of the square footage; and buildings greater than 2,500 square feet when alterations or additions exceed 50 percent of the square footage.
Council members Lee Duboc, Mickie Winkler and Nicholas Jellins voted against the proposal.
But on August 23, the council granted the Menlo Park Fire Protection District's request to consider, at a future meeting, a scaled-down version of the sprinkler proposal. The proposed new ordinance would require automatic fire sprinklers in all newly built commercial and residential buildings over 1,000 square feet.
Bart Spencer, president of the fire district board, acknowledged that "we have had this discussion before," but fire district officials, including new Fire Chief Doug Sporleder, and council member Kelly Fergusson argued that further discussion is warranted.
"This is about saving the lives of our residents and making it safer for firefighters to fight fires" said Ms. Fergusson. "I'm interested in talking about things that save lives."
Assistant Fire Marshal Ron Keefer noted that the National Fire Protection Code requires sprinklers in new single-family dwellings. Although the state of California doesn't subscribe to that particular code, it is considering adopting it, Mr. Keefer said.
Mayor Winkler debated whether the council should wait for a decision from the state before deciding to reopen the debate locally, but Ms. Fergusson argued that with plans for large residential and commercial projects in motion, the council has a responsibility to act in the immediate interests of the city.
In the end, Mayor Winkler gave in, conceding that Ms. Fergusson and Andrew Cohen were not on the council when the proposal was first rejected, and that it was appropriate to acknowledge the request of a new fire chief.
E-mail a friend a link to this story. |