Rich Gordon elected board president

Rich Gordon, a 13-year member of the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors and a resident of unincorporated Menlo Park, was elected president of the board on Jan. 12.

This will be Mr. Gordon's third term as board president. He is serving his final year on the board. Supervisor Carole Groom was elected vice president of the board.

In his prepared comments, Mr. Gordon said that 2010 will be "a watershed year," with possible changes in the county's charter and the difficult budget situation having long-term effects on the county, according to a press release from the county. He noted that the county will have to "change the way we do business" to solve its structural budget deficit and survive additional state budget cuts.

"I believe that we are up to the challenge (of the coming year)," he said. "It is now time to get to work."

Mr. Gordon, a Democrat, is running for the state 21st District Assembly seat in November. The seat is now held by Ira Ruskin, who will be termed out of office at the end of the year.

Comments

Posted by Allison MacDougal
a resident of Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
on Jan 13, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Mr. Gordon is a self righteous back slapping blowhard who will do anything for his own political gain. You San Mateo County citizens should actually ATTEND the Board of Supervisors meetings (which they do not encourage you to do, lest you interfere with their own agendas) and see what our tax dollars are going towards. I have attended many and can attest to the fact that on many many issues, there are back room deals already settled way ahead of time, and the poor unsuspecting citizen who is requesting something is blind sided by the supervisors. He/she stands up to speak, and they pretend to listen, but then vote as a unit having already made up their minds in the back room days ahead of time. It is pretty disgusting. 20 - 30 minutes of each meeting can be "photo ops" for each of them, accepting an award for this and a ribbon for that, slapping each other's backs and shaking hands while putting on the fake smiles of "concerned public servants". There should be TERM LIMITS for these folks!

Posted by maria
on Jan 13, 2010 at 3:22 pm

What a shame! I'll be glad when we are rid of him. He does n ot re4turn calls and he talks through his hat!

Posted by michelle
a resident of Las Lomitas School
on Jan 13, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Rich was incredibly helpful dealing with a house on our street that was causing incredible rodent/junk/health issues for the whole street. He came right out, and was very prompt and we (5 families) felt very happy with his services.

Posted by Michael G. Stogner
on Jan 14, 2010 at 11:50 am

Rich Gordon has been my Supervisor for most of the last 11 years. He has responded promptly and professionally to every single request I have made of him and there have been several requests I assure you. He also was the only Supervisor to make a motion for a Special Election to fill Jerry Hill's vacant seat, and he was the only Supervisor to vote against the appointment and he voted against appointing Carole Groom. I was one of the 11 applicants for that position, and I asked the BOS not to appoint any of us and send it to Special Election. Rich Gordon tried his best to make that happen. 3 people appointed Carloe Groom.

I wish Rich all the Best in the future.

Michael G. Stogner

PS I am now running for District 3 Supervisor Seat, that Rich will be leaving.

Posted by R.GORDON
on Jan 15, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Allison McDougal, poster one, said it pretty well leaving out a few of the incompetencies which border on "looking the other way" when the super rich decide to make moves which require his attention.
As to "the back room deals", I can only say I have been witness to what I can substantiate and found him "UNAVAILABLE" even at hearings in which he was directly involved along with his staff. I would say frankly, it bordered on corruption,which is on record, and I know his decision to leave is probably to enhance his financial status along with avoiding what might have been potential inquiries.His favored friends took a huge financial hit with the bank scandals, and this new position might be a safer haven.I doubt if it is that much more lucrative. I would wager he takes his "staff" with him.
Anyone who praises him or even is thinking of taking his present job, has to have a similar reputation of playing with big buck deals and in matters of consequence to special commissions or favored people.
His ribbon cutting P.R. activities were spontaneous and he kept his face in front of a public who probably was never able to speak to him without some "pull". Good luck to Menlo Park and have those cameras waiting for a lot of exploitive, out of the blue, appearances.

Posted by Michael G. Stogner
on Jan 16, 2010 at 10:46 am

R. Gordon,

I want to clarify a couple of points.

(1) It's not Rich Gordons' decision to leave, he is termed out.

(2) "He has responded promptly and professionally to every single request I have made of him and there have been several requests I assure you". I didn't say he solved anything or tried to help in any way but he did respond to my written requests.

(3) Advocate

Posted by R.Gordon
on Jan 20, 2010 at 4:17 pm

The one thing about saying, we are not "homophobic" is a grand gesture if it is to be believed.
My experience with gays in powerful positions is that they are no different than supposed heterosexuals.
Whoever thinks that a liar and cheater cannot don a "safe identity" because it is a perfect disguise for a phony who is clever and also may have avoided any kind of investigation with the ACLU to protect them, well, I would like to say, it is B S . !!
I would like to have the entire Board of Supervisors investigated by their alliegances to ANY movement, plan, decision in which their opinion counts, INVESTIGATED as profoundly as if they were SPIES OF AL QUAEDA. This area has had WAY too much go its way, and not enough reach the average since they have been in office.
IF I say I had proof, or if others who participated in payoffs,or can prove that this is a corrupt area..district or playground for the rich who have made millions...not billions (Gates and Jobs did that for real or the locals who tormented Jobs and his house, would have beaten him)I mention that all of this area was run by gangsters in the 50's like BUTTA, and when investment brokers and philanthropists decided to take over for the retiring DONS, it became a paradise for fakes who have mostly gone pretty broke.
There IS a list of well known residents who can be serving time right near Maddoff if they try and think all papers, files, computer discs with names have been destroyed, are WRONG.
What this war and bank scandal has done, is reveal dates, times, people, exchanges, offshore banking, real estate manipulation and, the newest "upper classes" who, for the most part, are broke by comparison of their positions not too long ago.
No more gardenias in bowls in the entry every day.
A Subpoena will be at the door, and kill the sweet frangrance of b.s.

Posted by R.GORDON
on Mar 15, 2010 at 8:00 pm

To Michael G. Stogner:
Your endorsement for the man RICHARD GORDON whose seat you are attempting to replace and the glorious accolades you pay him, smell,if you will; fishy. You say District 3....is that correct?
Exactly what has been "answered promptly and efficiently" to you in the past 11 years? We citizens who vote are entitled to know. ELEVEN years IS a long time to have him be so accomodating when I know of others who had little or no luck getting a return call except by assistants and not by personal contact like you. Just what position do you hold in order to get such good service.
The Carole Groom and Jerry Hill incidents are very interesting and worth noting.
After the banks, there are more departures from held govt.seats ever in a single period preceding 43 states election times.
I am sure your intentions are as good as Mr. Gordon's are in backing you to take his seat.

Let's Talk Internships
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 1 comment | 767 views

Zucchini Takeover
By Laura Stec | 0 comments | 506 views

Couples: Sex and Connection (Chicken or Egg?)
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 482 views