Alleged crack dealers arrested in the Willows

Police arrested a Menlo Park couple allegedly selling crack cocaine out of their apartment near Menlo Park's Willows neighborhood Tuesday, Jan. 19.

Marcus Lovelace, 26, was booked into San Mateo County jail on a variety of charges, including possession of cocaine base for sale and possession of an assault rifle, according to police. Police also arrested Danielle Filice, 27.

Ms. Filice wasn't immediately charged because of medical problems that had to be addressed first, according to Sgt. Eric Cowans. Sgt. Cowans said she would eventually be booked on the same charges as Mr. Lovelace.

In a raid on the apartment in the 500 block of Willow Road Tuesday afternoon, police found several ounces of crack cocaine, along with the assault rifle, according to Sgt. Cowans.

Mr. Lovelace was in the apartment when police arrived, and police officers staked out the parking lot until Ms. Filice returned to the apartment, Sgt. Cowans said. Both were taken into custody "without incident."

Sgt. Cowans said the charges would most likely be transferred to federal court.

Comments

Posted by Rob Tanner
a resident of Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
on Jan 20, 2010 at 9:28 pm

There goes the neighborhood. Menlo Park is the next East Palo Alto. You heard it here first.

Posted by sad
on Jan 20, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Danielle has two young children and is about 9 mos pregnant.

Posted by Angry
a resident of Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
on Jan 21, 2010 at 12:27 pm

This Danielle should get her tubes tied. Anyone who sells crack and does crack should NEVER be allowed to raise kids. Sad for the kids and angry about the "mother" if you could call her that.

Posted by Bethany White
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Jan 21, 2010 at 12:28 pm

"Angry" is saying what most folks are thinking. Brave person! It's the children who suffer.

Posted by sad
on Jan 21, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I don't know her at all, but she is (was) a frequent poster on the Palo Alto Menlo Park (PAMP) parents' club email list that has thousands of members. I had no idea that she was so young, and certainly didn't know about the crack sales! She was always helpful to others, and had mentioned that she would be going into labor soon and was worried about care for her two older kids as she had no family in the area. So I hope someone responsible is looking after them and they being kept in some dark room in a holding center.

Posted by Scared mother
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Jan 21, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Danielle also did a fair amount of babysitting and planning for childrens' parties. She'd been recommended by a number of people whose children she babysat. Scary...

Posted by Rational Observer
on Jan 21, 2010 at 5:04 pm

What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? Maybe Danielle wasn't involved in the sales. There may be more to this story than a lot of people are assuming. Perhaps she is a victim, too, and not a criminal. Did you notice that she wasn't immediately arrested?

Posted by Rob Tanner
a resident of Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
on Jan 21, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Posted by Scared mother
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Jan 21, 2010 at 9:49 pm

There's a bigger issue besides whether or not she was guilty of selling drugs. The bigger issue is that she took other people's children into her apartment for babysitting. Was there a drug dealer there at the time? Were there drugs there? Was the rifle there? Did she know what was going on under her own nose? (It would be hard not to know.) I left my child there with her twice b/c she provided glowing recommendations from several previous employers. That's disturbing to me. She may or may not be innocent of selling drugs. Nonetheless, she allowed her children and other people's children to get a little too close to a dangerous situation for my taste. Who knows what was behind it all - maybe they were short on money and made some incredibly bad decisions about how to up their income? Maybe she was blinded by love for this guy or trying to keep her family intact? I'm sure that if you're desperate to feed your children or keep your family together - even if the father is a crook - you turn a blind eye to all kinds of things - as long as the money for food comes in. But still... It's profoundly disturbing.
Oh ... and the reason she wasn't immediately arrested is possibly b/c she's due to give birth any day now.

Posted by annoyed
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Jan 21, 2010 at 9:52 pm

To comment on above postings:
A person is arrested under the suspicion of committing a crime, but he or she is presumed innocent at the time of the arrest. During and after the arrest, the prosecution will gather evidence in the hopes of convincing a judge or jury that the person is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. At the end of that trial, if the person is found guilty, THEN he is guilty. THAT'S how OUR justice system works. Rob, you are confusing your definition of our judicial system with that of some other countries. And Menlo Park is just fine, thank you. That said, Danielle has been soliciting "philanthropic" donations on PAMP (a local online parents group), and offering services as a babysitter and party planner. As a member of the group, I have been skeptical about this woman for several months; any careful PAMP member should have seen something like this coming from a mile away!

Posted by Sick
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Jan 21, 2010 at 10:15 pm

This makes me sick to my stomach. Even if Danielle was not involved in the production or sale of crack cocaine, I would assume child endangerment would be on the table here. Truly sad. I am just thankful that something disastrous did not occur to any of these kids (hers or others')

Posted by Guest
on Jan 21, 2010 at 11:49 pm

It's tragic how the media and the police manipulate the public, and how the public let themselves become manipulated.

A rifle is nothing more than a piece of steel if it is unloaded and/or locked.

"Illegal" drugs are drugs and are not necessarily any more dangerous than prescription drugs, over the counter drugs, cleaning supplies, automotive supplies, stairs, a swimming pool, cars, or even an unattended filled bathtub.

Posted by Sick
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Jan 22, 2010 at 8:35 am

Somehow I get the feeling guns confiscated at crackhouses and meth labs have been used for more violent crime than your typical hunting rifle owned by one of my neighbors on cholesterol meds ;) Seriously, having lived in some pretty bad situations, all drugs are NOT equal. crack is one of the REALLY bad drugs... people wanting a marijuana fix are in general not breaking into homes and holding up gas stations to feed the habit.

Posted by Interested
on Jan 22, 2010 at 11:39 am

Posted by Gail Slocum
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Jan 22, 2010 at 12:49 pm

No way is this a "there goes the neighborhood" moment, folks. C'mon...

Key points to remember:
(a) our police are on the job and successfully made these arrests! (b) these people ARE presumed innocent until proven guilty and the justice system will run its course - it's possible that this woman was not directly involved though she could still be charged wtih aiding and abbetting,
(c) this is in no way a new low: in 1992 there were 9 carjackings at gunpoint in the Willows (mostly the streets nearest to 101 leading away from East O'Keefe from which there were a lot of speeding chases with gun battles, and where there were 8 murders that year - many related to drug-selling gang activity), and in 1993 our tri-City community based efforts took the EPA murders down to zero as well as the car jackings, and we haven't seen anything like that since. In fact, the level of investment in the neighborhood went WAY up in the last 16 years, especially the further from 101 and closer to Middlefield you go. In addition the City partnered with the Willows neghborhood to develop traffic calming to reduce speeding and make our kids and pets and seniors all safer, but which also cuts down on the possibility of speeding chases from EPA.

The main thing is to create MORE of a sense of community and be aware/keep a lookout for things that don't seem right and call the police right away. Consider joining their "Neighborhood Watch" program! Get to know your neighbors better and create a neighborhood contact list etc....

But I repeat, the fact that our police took down the
so called "Taliban" gang last spring in a major multijurisdictional action alongside the FBI, and also arrested these folks, is a GOOD sign that things are being addressed.

Let's give praise to our great Police force, and help them however we can with their community-based policing efforts!

Gail Slocum
Former Mayor (1993)
Willows resident since 1988

Posted by JCarbone
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Jan 22, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Sad for the Filice family.

Posted by Interested
on Jan 22, 2010 at 3:21 pm

"Usually if people are arrested they are guilty. That is one of the tenets of our justice system, that nobody is arrested unless their is a presumption of guilt. Based on that, I would assume she will be convicted by any jury worth its salt.

Wow. that's one of the dumbest comments I have read in a while. .I am sure Mr. Tanner having done his research can tell us what percentage of arrests result in conviction. [Portion removed]"

Oops pardon me. I had forgotten the Almanacs censorship rules when proposing that another poster may be suffering from Cranial/Rectal inversion.

Posted by Rob Tanner
a resident of Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
on Jan 22, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Listen folks. We hire police officers and train them to deal with criminals. They are trained professionals so I prefer to let them do their job and arrest those people who are guilty and protect those who are innocent. If you have a problem with that, move back to the fascist country you came from where everyone is arrested and harassed by the police regardless of whether they did anything or not.
PS: Personal attacks and name calling are uncalled for in an open forum debate, please refrain from that in the future.

Posted by Disgusted
a resident of Woodside School
on Jan 23, 2010 at 9:36 am

[Post removed; disrespectful comment]

Posted by JC
on Jan 24, 2010 at 1:30 am

I personally know Danielle, and have hired her on numerous occasions for babysitting and party planning for my two young children. I met Danielle through the PAMP mother's group as well. She was highly recommended by numerous families and had glowing reviews on her many services. She became an asset to our family over a year ago and in that time I feel I have built a trustworthy and commited relationship with her. I find it so hard to believe that what I am reading is the truth and I am so saddened for her and her family. I believe I am wise enough to know "there are two sides to every story" and that the media does not always print the most accurate truth, so I would love to hear her side of the story. I have personally met her two young children on several occations and can say that her children are very respectful, loving, great kids! Danielle has always shown to be a great mother and as far as I knew, she was a strong "SINGLE" mother, and a very good one at that!! I just hope that all the other families out there that have worked with her too and have read this article, will step up and enlighten the community on how wonderful of a person Danielle is and not put shame upon her name until the full story has been told. It may be a long while before we hear from her or hear the truth (I am sure she has been advised not to speak of this issue at this time) so, until then, my prayers are with her and her family.

Posted by Lee
a resident of Menlo Park: Linfield Oaks
on Jan 25, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I, too, know Danielle. She worked with my family a few times, prior to her becoming pregnant. Yes, she is an awsome helper and a dedicated provider. She helped us organize our home and even babysat for us on a few date nights. Key pointers I would like to address on her behalf-
1. The title clearly says "ALLEGED". This means it may not be true.
2. Danielle was not officially arrested if she was later let go without being charged, she was rather "Detained" while they investigated the situation.
3. It is no longer up to the Menlo Park police station if charges will be filed, but rather left up to the District attorney from here on out.
4. Like "JC" said, "There are two sides to every story".

That is my thought for now, I can only hope her family is doing well.

Posted by Civics 101
a resident of Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
on Jan 25, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I can't speak for fascist countries, but here in America everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

The police are empowered to arrest people suspected of crimes, and to collect evidence. The District Attorney is empowered to review the evidence and determine whether it warrants prosecution.

Posted by Meme
on Feb 20, 2010 at 1:53 am

I know Danielle and her family for many years. She comes from a very nice family and like people have comment 2 sides.
God Bless her and the kids!

Posted by Former Classmate
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Sep 7, 2010 at 6:08 pm

[Post removed. These comments are not appropriate for Town Square.]

Global Warming Diet

Couples: "Taming Your Gremlin" by Richard Carson

Preparing for kindergarten
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 728 views

Let's Talk Internships
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 0 comments | 378 views

Race is tomorrow!

On Friday, September 21, join us at the Palo Alto Baylands for a 5K walk, 5K run, 10K run, or—for the first time—half marathon! All proceeds benefit local nonprofits serving children and families.

Learn More