Witness saw plane 'suddenly appear from the fog'

Fatal flight from Palo Alto Airport hit main powerline and transmission tower in dense fog, federal report confirms

The Cessna 310R that crashed in pieces into an East Palo Alto neighborhood flew in a level or slight climb at low altitude until it struck high-tension powerlines and a transmission tower, according to a preliminary report released Wednesday night by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB).

Multiple witnesses living near the accident site reported observing portions of the accident sequence.

One witness, who was walking on a levee near the crash site, said she saw an airplane "suddenly appear from the fog" to her left. She said she continued to watch the airplane fly from her left to her right at a low altitude until it impacted the powerlines, according to the report.

Parts of the twin-engine Cessna, piloted by Doug Bourn, a senior Tesla engineer, impacted several residential structures and the ground following the collision with the power lines and tower, the report noted.

Bourn, a licensed commercial pilot, and his two passengers, Andrew Ingram and Brian Finn, also Tesla employees, were flying to Hawthorne, Calif., for a meeting. All three men were killed. The airplane was registered to Air Unique, Inc., of Santa Clara, and piloted by Bourn as a personal flight.

"Instrument meteorological conditions prevailed and an instrument flight plan was filed for the cross-country flight," the NTSB report said.

"Examination of the accident site revealed that the airplane struck power lines and a power line tower about 50 feet above ground level. Various portions of wreckage debris, power lines, and power-line tower structure were scattered throughout the wreckage debris path," according to the report.

The wreckage debris path was measured on a southwesterly heading for approximately 900 feet from the tower and wires to the main fuselage, which came to rest in front of a residence on Beech Street. A post-crash fire and wreckage debris damaged four residential structures and at least five vehicles along the debris path.

All major structural parts of the airplane were located within the wreckage debris path and are being studied by NTSB investigators. A fuel-laden wing, believed to have been severed by hitting the powerlines and tower, crashed into a home housing a day care center and burst into flames, but all of the seven persons there escaped unhurt.

The plane's engine, landing gear and part of the fuselage destroyed a carport and the car in it, and the engine continued on, smashing the side of a garage and winding up inside the garage.

Joshua Cawthra, the NTSB lead investigator, said a final report to determine the exact cause of the crash would take six months to a year -- longer if investigators determine the accident was caused by mechanical failure, Cawthra said.

Cawthra said whether the plane impacted with the tower or wires first isn't known at this point.

"It may never be known," he said.

We can't do it without you.
Support local journalism.


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Don't be the last to know

Get the latest headlines sent straight to your inbox every day.

Peek inside the fine-dining Selby's, opening in Redwood City this summer
By Elena Kadvany | 6 comments | 4,243 views

Homestead Faire at Hidden Villa 4/27
By Laura Stec | 7 comments | 1,228 views

Premarital and Couples: "You're Not Listening to Me!" may mean "I don't feel heard."
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 1,104 views

If you do nothing else, do These Three Things
By Sherry Listgarten | 9 comments | 1,100 views


The Almanac Readers' Choice ballot is here

It's time to decide what local business is worthy of the title "The Almanac Readers' Choice" — and you get to decide! Cast your ballot online. Voting ends May 27th. Stay tuned for the results in the July 17th issue of The Almanac.