Big run of property crimes in Atherton, MP

Thieves got away with almost $53,000 in stolen goods in some 19 property crimes in Atherton and Menlo Park over the week that started Friday, Feb 19, according to police logs for both communities.

In Menlo Park, a take of $17,150 includes four residential burglaries, four thefts -- in which breaking and entering was not a factor -- and three auto burglaries.

Atherton's much higher loss of $35,800 includes a $31,000 heist of jewelry from a locked vehicle, along with two residential burglaries and one theft, according to the log.

There were also four Menlo Park vehicle thefts, two of which were recovered, police said.

Menlo Park

In residential crimes, the take last week included a laptop and jewelry valued at $7,350 on Carlton Avenue, two rings valued at $4,900 from Monte Rosa Drive, a video game setup valued at $2,800 from O'Connor Street, and two turntables, a mixer and some jewelry for a total of $3,600 from a home on Carlton Avenue.

On Noel Drive, someone stole a bicycle valued at $1,700 from a garage. At Robert Half International offices on Sand Hill Road, thieves stole a TV valued at $2,500, police said.

Losses from auto burglaries included a $2,300 theft of a laptop, briefcase and notebook. Someone stiffed the Chevron station on El Camino Real for $69.95 for a vehicle repair, police said.

Atherton

The big jewelry burglary of a vehicle occurred on Palmer Lane after someone smashed the vehicle's window and stole a jewelry box and its contents along with a purse, police said.

At a construction site on Betty Lane, thieves got away with $4,400 in tools, police said.

Comments

Posted by Patricia Fuqua
on Mar 2, 2010 at 8:12 pm

How Long Will We Be Sitting Ducks for The Bad Guys?

I'm not happy with quality of life in Menlo Park anymore.

I've lived on my peaceful cul de sac for over twenty years. My neighbors have lived here for longer. We have enjoyed neighborhood gatherings and watched our children and grandchildren play on our safe streets.

My peace was shattered recently when a thief broke into my car. The person took the liberty of stealing my coin purse with bridge money and dumping the contents of my emergency road kit in the gutter in front of my house.

I was lucky. I'd forgotten to lock my car door the night before because I was too tired to double check as I usually do. Therefore my window was not smashed. There was nothing of value showing in the car.

Other neighbors were not so lucky. They've had car windows smashed, screens cut, valuables stolen. Now the debate is what to do to stop feeling like sitting ducks for these bad guys.

Surveillance cameras in front of our homes is a start I say. Many folks say no to cameras placed at the entrance to the neighborhood. It's too invasive of our privacy. I don't want to be a sheep waiting for the wolves to come. I say let's handle this situation with modern technology. There are too many thieves for the police and I really don't appreciate strangers taking my stuff.

Posted by Gunslinger
on Mar 3, 2010 at 7:31 am

Buy guns and support your local PD when liberals accuse them of "racial profiling," which usually just means the PD is doing too good a job of nabbing the bad guys

Posted by resident
on Mar 3, 2010 at 8:19 am

lock and load !

Posted by menlo guy
on Mar 3, 2010 at 9:08 am

Mrs Fuqua,

Have you conidered parking in your garage? Also, it sounds like teenagers with the mess they made outside your car.

Posted by Put 2 and 2 together
a resident of Atherton: other
on Mar 3, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Expect more and more coverage of this "crime spree" in Atherton as the vote for the citizen police review board gets closer and closer. Czarist propaganda minister Potemkin would be proud.

Posted by WhoRUpeople
on Mar 3, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I agree with 2 and 2. The Almanac article would be a bit more informative if it included a comparison of the 19 incidents to an "average" week between the two communities. this may well be a spike, then again, it may well be average.

Posted by pv'er
a resident of Portola Valley: Central Portola Valley
on Mar 3, 2010 at 3:58 pm

WhoRUpeople: go nuts... Web Link

Posted by Bulldog
on Mar 3, 2010 at 8:05 pm

CrimeReports.Com doesn't serve Menlo Park. Wouldn't it be nice it it did?

Sadly, whether these thefts are a spike or an average, it is going to get worse. Effective at the end of January, the CA Legislature raised the threshold for felony status on most theft crimes from $400 to $950.

Why? Inflation was probably part of the justification. The other part was a recognition that California is about ready to do a large release of prisoners to comply with a Federal order (and cut costs). I think the number is 40,000 inmates.

By raising the dollar threshold, when the crooks get busted again, they will more likely be housed in the county jails for a misdemeanor rather than heading back to state prison for a felony.

More criminals on the street. Fewer dollars in city coffers for the cops. Sound like a recipe for disaster?

Someone earlier said buy a gun. It might make you feel safer. But recognize that if you shoot someone for simply breaking into your car, you're going to be on the wrong side of the law. You need to save the guns for when you need to defend lives, not property.

That leaves you with alarm systems, neighborhood efforts to watch each others properties, and mitigating the risk of losing your treasured items (safes, banks).

Bottom line: It's not that Menlo Park has gotten worse relative to other communities. It's that California has gotten worse relative to the other states.

Let's Talk Internships
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 0 comments | 710 views

Race is tonight!

On Friday, September 21, join us at the Palo Alto Baylands for a 5K walk, 5K run, 10K run, or—for the first time—half marathon! All proceeds benefit local nonprofits serving children and families.

Learn More