Tonight: Meeting on downtown parking issues

People interested in the parking situation in downtown Menlo Park are invited to attend a meeting Thursday, March 11, at 7 p.m. in the Menlo Park Presbyterian Social Hall, behind ACE Hardware.

The meeting is part of a consultant-led process to identify possible changes to downtown parking, such as allowing people to park longer in plazas and along streets, and installing meters. At the meeting, a consultant will present three separate "parking management plans," according to a city press release.

Some downtown property owners and merchants are said to favor increasing the hours people are allowed to park on downtown streets and in plazas, saying it will improve business.

Menlo Park's City Council approved the study in June.

Comments

Posted by THAID
a resident of Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
on Mar 10, 2010 at 1:00 pm

NO METERS IT WILL MAKE THING WORSE

Posted by resident
a resident of Menlo Park: Suburban Park/Lorelei Manor/Flood Park Triangle
on Mar 10, 2010 at 2:22 pm

honestly, i've rarely had a serious parking problem in down-town menlo park. nothing like palo alto where you can circle the block a zillion times and not find a space.

hope this is not about revenue generation.

Posted by Menlo Voter
on Mar 10, 2010 at 5:17 pm

"hope this is not about revenue generation."

Of course that's what this is about.

Posted by logic
on Mar 11, 2010 at 12:37 pm

As long as the city is talking parking how about doing away with the overnight street parking ban. The reasons given for the 2am-5am ban area:
crime prevention - ok if I'm a burglar working the 2am-5am shift I'll just park in someone's driveway while I'm working.
street cleaning - the street sweeper shows up during the day.
civic beauty - how many tour buses do the streets of MP 2am-5am?
Do away with this ridiculous rule and the city can save at least one half-time employee position, probably more if you count the paper work.

Posted by Colin Jenkins
on Mar 11, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Can't make the meeting but here's a suggestion:

Sell half as many parking permits at twice the price.

This will free up spaces for shoppers - at least half of the cars in the lot behind our store must be owned by office workers who have permits and therefore the lot is half full before the retail stores open for the day. If you count the number of retail stores fronting the parking lot, the number of available spaces for customers is spread pretty thin.

This may also encourage office workers to consider alternate forms of transportation.

Posted by afadsfasd
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Mar 11, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Parking in menlo park is fine. I don't see what the problem is with it. Palo alto parking is much worse.

Posted by Mr. Parker
on Mar 11, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I'd say one of the prime reasons non-locals would bother to shop in a small downtown like Menlo Park's is because of the free, convenient parking and small-town feel. Parking meters will do more harm than good over the long run, if you ask me. Pay to park in Menlo Park, or park for free in Palo Alto -- which one do you think people will choose?

Posted by James
a resident of Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
on Mar 11, 2010 at 4:16 pm

While it may add more revenue, there is a cost to having parking meters. It's not as if new merchants are fighting to do business in the city. This may in the end deter people for coming here. Also, not having the meters keeps the hometown atmosphere and community feeling.

Palo Alto may have a parking problem, but I would rather go there than Redwood City and deal with their new parking meter system.

Posted by MP shopper
on Mar 11, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I live in Palo Alto but my hairdresser is in MP. It is a nightmare because my appointment always last over 2 hrs and I end up having to run out with my hair dye on and a cape to move my car!

Please - make a three hour parking lot somewhere near downtown. I can't even have lunch with the kids and walk around because we always end up rushing back. If not, consider a three hour lot where you pay - I'd do it to not run out with my hair dye!

Couples: Philosophy of Love

Trials of My Grandmother
By Aldis Petriceks | 1 comment | 1,015 views

Lakes and Larders (part 2)
By Laura Stec | 0 comments | 592 views