News


Fire in fireplace may have ignited shake roof

 

A "little roof fire" reported at 12:35 p.m. Monday, July 12, at a one-story home on Lawler Ranch Road in Woodside took firefighters about 20 minutes to contain, Woodside Fire Protection District Battalion Chief Don Romero told The Almanac.

Investigators are looking into the cause of the fire, but the current suspect is a spark from the brick chimney that landed on and ignited the shake roof, Mr. Romero said. A fire had been going in the fireplace, he added.

No one was injured and the fire did not represent a threat to the dry and wooded area traversed by Lawler Ranch Road, Mr. Romero said.

"The way we had it contained, there was never any danger," he said, noting that the home had a good buffer zone -- a perimeter intentionally cleared of flammable material.

About 20 firefighters came to the scene and the equipment included a water supply truck since the area has no hydrants, the battalion chief said.

A caretaker reported the fire, which did about $50,000 damage to the roof and interior, the battalion chief said.

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by Marshall
a resident of Portola Valley: Ladera
on Jul 12, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Glad to hear everyone was ok. I do wonder why anyone would have a fire going in the fireplace on an 80 degree afternoon in July?


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

I AM THE GOD OF HELL FIRE AND I BRING YOU
By Laura Stec | 21 comments | 1,415 views

Are We Really Up To This?
By Aldis Petriceks | 1 comment | 840 views

Couples: Initiators and Implementors
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 716 views

Don't be a ghost
By Cheryl Bac | 1 comment | 478 views