Menlo Park mayor says he will seek second term

Mayor Rich Cline will run for a second term on the Menlo Park City Council, he told The Almanac this week.

Saying that being a council member is a tough job but "a very rewarding experience," Mr. Cline said in a written statement that the current council "has an ambitious agenda and we need to continue to tackle some big challenges facing our town."

Among those challenges, he said, are long-term planning of the downtown area, managing the planned high-speed rail's impacts on the community, and establishing "an equitable and sustainable employee compensation model for years to come."

Mr. Cline's is one of three seats up for election on Nov. 2. Councilman John Boyle said he will not seek re-election, and Councilman Heyward Robinson said he will seek a second term.

The period for filing candidate papers ends on Friday, Aug. 6, but will be extended until Aug. 11 for the council race because an incumbent, Mr. Boyle, isn't running.

In addition to his role as mayor, Mr. Cline heads the Peninsula Cities Consortium, made up of five elected officials from Menlo Park, Atherton, Palo Alto, Burlingame and Belmont. The coalition advocates for the five cities, which will be heavily impacted by construction of the Peninsula line of the state's high-speed rail project.

A member of the city's Parks and Recreation Commission before running for council in 2006, Mr. Cline said he's proud of what the current council has accomplished.

"I recognize that by serving on (the council) for such a highly intelligent community as ours, my position requires more listening, more intellectual rigor, and an ability to make decisions on information and data, not just upon my own personal values," he wrote. "I have worked hard to meet that high bar."

Comments

Posted by Frugal
on Jul 20, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Cline lost my vote day he gave away millions when approving the Bohannan project.

Posted by my view
on Jul 20, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I'm not about to vote for any of the incumbents. It should be obvious by now, that the City Manager they hired was a very poor choice. they have thrown away about one million on the downtown plan, which is in complete disarray. (I just read the viewpoint article in the Almanac)

At least Boyle has had the courtesy to step down. Cline and Robinson must go also. Robinson with his now attacking garbage rates; what a joke. Where was he when this was decided?

Posted by truth
a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Jul 20, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Here come the no growthers. They had their own guy Andy negotiating and they blame others. Classic.

No real facts but lots of opinions about how to get money in a development negotiation.

If these guys have their way, you are talking about no gym, no hotel on Sand Hill, no downtown plan ever, no Gateway, no Derry, no 1300...

The grand ambiguous argument about what "they would of and could of" done...

Posted by Long Time Resident
on Jul 20, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Although Cline is the most moderate of the aligned 4 member council majority, he is still part of that group. He has consistently voted with Fergussen, Cohen and Robinson against Boyle. He was backed by the unions in the last election accepting money and their volunteer time walking precincts for him. After his election he approved the utility tax to help pay for a 30% pay raise and retirements at 55.

He ran with Robinson and Vince Bressler, a radical no growther, in 2006. Bressler was then rewarded with a spot on the planning commission and has been making it difficult for applicants ever since. Cline may now understand the error of his earlier ways, but it is too late.

Posted by truth
a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Jul 20, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Most moderate of all five.

Posted by Hank Lawrence
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Jul 20, 2010 at 4:28 pm

How can anyone tell what Cline is? He spends most of his time fretting and worrying about making a decision. And when he makes a decision it is the decsion not to make a decison. It is ironic that the best council member, John Boyle, decided not to run again. If we had five people like John we would have a City Council to be proud of.

Posted by 4-1
on Jul 20, 2010 at 9:20 pm

This forum is hilarious. Yeah, there's a 4-1 split on the Council- 4 people who listen to everyone, really think about things and make up their minds on their own. Then there's 1 who pretends to listen, and then either just does whatever an extremist council of 'advisors' (most of whom don't live in Menlo) says to do, or crankily abstains. Cline and Boyle are definitely part of the 4. Any guesses who the 1 is?

Posted by Voice of Reason
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Jul 21, 2010 at 6:52 am

Cline, Robinson, and Fergusson have done irreparable harm to our city by placing the interests of the employee unions above the interests of the residents. Cohen and Boyle are advocates for the residents.

For the good of Menlo Park we need to vote out Cline and Robinson.

Posted by yeah, right
a resident of Menlo Park: Felton Gables
on Jul 21, 2010 at 7:24 am

Voice of Reason- Cohen is NOT an advocate for the residents. He is an (ineffective) advocate for whoever whines to him the loudest. When he's not reading off a sheet of paper Collacchi/Speer gave to him, he's defending the wealthy out-of-towners Couperus/Flegel. Give me a break.

Posted by Joanna
on Jul 21, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I wonder if voters will kick him out of office. I hope so.

Posted by Andy Stern
on Jul 21, 2010 at 4:52 pm

[Post removed; same person posting under different names on same thread.]

Posted by Peter Carpenter
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Jul 21, 2010 at 8:57 pm

His campaign platform:
1 - I promise to ignore the Brown Act
2 - I won't make any decisions that I can send to the voters
3 - I won't even think about trying to save $7 million/year by outsourcing police services

Posted by Just Wondering
on Jul 21, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Hey Peter, that campaign platform for Cline you propose is 100% better than anyone in Atherton can offer!

Posted by Frugal
on Jul 22, 2010 at 8:15 am

Rich if this thread is typical, it looks like you've made few friends in this town. Maybe you should should withdraw your papers and retire quietly into the traffic and red ink you have supported.

Posted by Gerry McEntee
on Jul 22, 2010 at 10:31 am

Hey Rich,

If things don't work out with your run for City Council I can bring you on board. Same goes for Heyward. I owe you both big time and won't forget how you both came through for me in the clutch.

Posted by we want to know
on Jul 22, 2010 at 11:51 am

Is anyone going to ask the obvious question?

If you watched recent meetings, then you saw public comment around Gateway and the letters from Andy's henchmen wringing their hands about Cline and Robinson.

When is Andy's little minion of Don and Morris and Speer and Elias and Chuck and Vince going to stop hiding in the shadows and put up their name to run? These guys sit in dark corners and write their letters under names like Menlo Voter and Concerned and interested, but they always hide like weasels and Andy does their bidding.

See traffic, development and planning as topics and there they are denouncing folks who had the guts to serve, while they hide. Two of them were rejected in elections already.

Stop hiding in forums and step up and run. The clock is ticking and you can actually run now. I want to see people of courage stand up and debate the incumbents like adults. If you think your platform and your ideas are better, than step up.

It is that easy. Stop insulting respectable people when you haven't the courage to do something about it.

Posted by Interested
on Jul 22, 2010 at 12:44 pm

If the rest of your rant is as accurate as your assertion that I know any of the people you listed, or have been in any way insulting to the the Council Members on this forum, then I can assure others they may disregard it completely.

Posted by Menlo Voter
on Jul 22, 2010 at 1:06 pm

We want to know:

clearly you don't know. I am none of those people you mentioned. I am also not interested in running for office. I have too much to do just to keep up with my bills. If I did want to serve though it would because I actually wanted to do the job and I would apply myself and actually make decisions. Something some of the current council seem incapable of doing.

By the way, it's interesting you are denouncing others for posting under a pseudonym when you yourself don't have the courage of your convictions.

Posted by yeah, right
a resident of Menlo Park: Felton Gables
on Jul 22, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Please please please let some combination of Don/Morris/Elias/Chuck form a "Killer B's" slate for Council! If you thought the "check V" campaign from 2006 set a new standard for social awkwardness, you haven't seen anything yet.

Posted by Just Wondering
on Jul 22, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Yea, We Want To Know, you don't know Peter - his comments are par for his course.

Posted by this just in, tanking revenues, runaway expenses
on Jul 22, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Read the 7/27 council agenda packet with YTD quarterly budget report. Sales tax revenue $350K below expected YTD 6/30, TOT in the toilet, another $350K from reserves, from prior years reserves, still owed to Downtown/ECR "consultants" on their $1.2 million contract.
Time to cancel the downtonwn/ECR contract which is a total waste of time and money, vigorously opposed by downtown merchants and store owners.
Pretty tough for fiscally imprudent incumbents to get voter support for another 4 years come November.

Posted by POGO
a resident of Woodside: other
on Jul 22, 2010 at 8:23 pm

this just in, tanking revenues, runaway expenses -

From your lips to God's ears!

Unfortunately, I'm betting the MP incumbents will be swept into office by people voting for familiar names... just as always.

Sad.

Posted by Downtown block party tank dunk
on Jul 22, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Polyanna Fergie will just throw another Thur. nite block party and everything will be Dorothy in Kansas all over again!
No worries, Nero's running the city!
Golly gosh!

Posted by Peter Carpenter
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Jul 22, 2010 at 9:49 pm

We want to know states:"Peter, I don't know you, but you have stooped awfully low recently with your comments. I would think someone of your esteem would have more respect for local elected officials and the amount of work they do."

Having been an elected official for 8 years I have deep respect and understanding for local officials who DO what they were elected to do - govern, decide, lead. I have no respect for elected officials who do not govern, not decide and do not lead. How hard someone works is irrelevant, what they accomplish is all that counts.

Posted by Peter Carpenter
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Jul 23, 2010 at 10:39 am

There is now a great replacement for Cline - Peter Ohtaki, who currently serves on the Fire Board, has decided to run for the MP Council.

He is talented, dedicated, financially wise and conservative. His tenure on the Fire Board was marked by team work and he is demonstrating strong leadership skills in his current role as Board President.

He will not take union money or endorsements.

Posted by Peter Carpenter
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Jul 23, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I am confident that the voters in Menlo Park can and will select their new council members without my input.

That said I don't intend to relinquish my First Amendment rights to speak out in support of candidates who have demonstrated their ability to balance $30+ million budgets without using reserves or raising taxes, who have refused to capitulate to union demands for excessive pay and benefits, and who have a record of working well with their elected colleagues. And I won't hesitate to speak out against candidates who flout the Brown Act, can't balance a budget and won't confront the unions.

In the end the Menlo Park voters will decide.

Posted by Voter
on Jul 26, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Peter, I totally agree with you about Peter O. However, the remaing
candidates are marginal at best, we need decision makers, not take
it to the voters (literally). If you are using Menlo Fire as a bench mark, their contract is still not agreed too, 2 1/2 years, numerous law suits. If would be cheaper to give them a CPI raise, than have to pay out all of the litigations on both sides, and more to come I am sure.

Posted by Peter Carpenter
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Jul 26, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Voter states:"If you are using Menlo Fire as a bench mark, their contract is still not agreed too, 2 1/2 years"

IF you are going to stand up to the unions then you need to be prepared to say NO - this is not a failure, this is a significant achievement. A significant salary increase, they are asking for 11% for the FIRST year, is forever. Any law suits are a one time expense - and I predict the Fire District will win them all.

Labor peace at any price is a very bad bargain.

Let's Talk Internships
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 2 comments | 1,039 views

Couples: Sex and Connection (Chicken or Egg?)
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 904 views