News

Spontaneous combustion in Woodside fire

 

The spontaneous combustion of oily rags brought firefighters to the residence at 525 Moore Road in the Woodside Heights neighborhood at about 6:50 p.m. Monday, Aug. 9.

"It was pretty easily extinguished," Don Romero, a battalion chief for the Woodside Fire Protection District, told The Almanac. There were no injuries in the one-alarm fire, nor was there any damage to structures, he added.

Firefighters from the Woodside and Menlo Park fire protection districts and the Redwood City Fire Department responded to a 911 call by the resident.

Not all the firefighters who responded were needed and the whole operation lasted about 30 minutes, Mr. Romero said.

Contractors had used rags for staining wood and then put them inside a bag, he said. "We seem to have a problem with contractors using stain. We do have a fair number of fires caused by stain and rags," he said.

Oily rags in a confined place will likely ignite within "a couple of hours," Mr. Romero added.

We can't do it without you.
Support local journalism.

Comments

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Don't be the last to know

Get the latest headlines sent straight to your inbox every day.

First Sunnyvale, then Australia: Mountain View's Le Plonc plots expansion
By Elena Kadvany | 1 comment | 2,445 views

Juggling Renewables
By Sherry Listgarten | 35 comments | 1,933 views

Premarital and Couples: Living as Roommates?
By Chandrama Anderson | 2 comments | 1,399 views

Homestead Faire at Hidden Villa 4/27
By Laura Stec | 0 comments | 678 views

A trial run
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 523 views

 

The Almanac Readers' Choice ballot is here

It's time to decide what local business is worthy of the title "The Almanac Readers' Choice" — and you get to decide! Cast your ballot online. Voting ends May 27th. Stay tuned for the results in the July 17th issue of The Almanac.

VOTE HERE