Flags fly in memory of fallen firefighters

Click on pictures to enlarge.

By Dave Boyce

Almanac Staff Writer

Hundreds of small U.S. flags were on display Saturday (Sept. 11) on lawns at local fire stations in Menlo Park, East Palo Alto and Woodside in memory of the 343 New York City firefighters who died in the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

In Woodside, the headquarters station at 3111 Woodside Road had its lawn decorated with 343 flags for the first time, according to Captain Jerry Nave of the Woodside Fire Protection District.

Three locations in Menlo Park had 343 flags on display: Station 1 at 300 Middlefield Road; Station 4 at 3322 Alameda de las Pulgas in West Menlo Park; and Station 6 downtown at 700 Oak Grove Ave.

Flags were also displayed at Station 2 at 2290 University Ave. in East Palo Alto.

A fire district training center at 444 El Camino Real (a former car dealership) had an oversize flag out for the day, said Chief Harold Schapelhouman of the Menlo Park Fire Protection District.

After the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, members of California Urban Search and Rescue Task Force 3, which includes firefighters from the Menlo Park district, were deployed to New York City and Washington, D.C. to assist with rescue and recovery operations.

They also served as backup rescue in New York, the chief said. Rescue vehicles being in short supply, the firefighters used an empty beer truck for operations and a prison bus for transportation, he said.

"The flags ... are meant to embrace a common theme among the actual rescue workers and emergency responders nationwide," Chief Schapelhouman said. "That theme is: 'We will never forget!'"

Comments

Posted by Arch Conservative
on Sep 10, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Where is the ACLU when we really need them?- Probably off, complaining about all the crosses at the VA Cemetary in San Bruno.

Posted by Willy
a resident of Woodside: other
on Sep 10, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Arch:

Forgive me, I'm unsure of your post, given this is a Sept 11 memorial thread.

Are you for, or against, civil liberties?

Posted by Gunther Steinberg
a resident of Portola Valley: Ladera
on Sep 10, 2010 at 12:53 pm

On 9/11, about 3000 people died in one day. In 2009 33,500 people died just in auto accidents, at the rate of 92/day, not counting the badly injured.
~4600 service members died and >100,000 were injured in the Iraq war to date. 19,000 people die from gun violence in the US.
~100,000 die from medical errors and preventable inflections each year. 45,000 die from lack of medical insurance and treatment.
US infant mortality is 4th after Mexico, Turkey ...
>25 million died in World War II.

Are the victims of 9/11 really so special?
The surviving families received huge compensations, some in the millions.
What do our servicemen's families get when their spouses are killed in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Posted by WhoRUpeople
on Sep 10, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Mr. Steinberg, normally I would "stiffle" myself rather than respond to a post such as yours, but in this case I cannot. "are the victims of 9/11 really so special?" Damn right they are! The key word here is VICTIMS. Ten years ago a rally cry went out across this nation, you have obviously forgot that rally cry; or perhaps never heard it-definitely did not comprehend it. It was, and still is, NEVER FORGET! NEVER is not 10 years. I noted your address as the Ladera neighborhood of Portolla Valley. Pretty ritzy area--perhaps to you to families of the victims getting compensated means no harm no foul. To dismiss the tragedy of 9/11 as being like traffic fatalities is possibly the most insensitive crap I've ever read. Finally, as a veteran, I did not serve to protect views such as yours-sorry.

Posted by Joseph E. Davis
a resident of Woodside: Emerald Hills
on Sep 10, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Celebrate 9/11: burn a copy of the Patriot Act.

Posted by Never Forget 9/11
on Sep 10, 2010 at 10:18 pm

[Post deleted. Please comment on the topic. Don't attack other posters.]

Posted by James
a resident of Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
on Sep 11, 2010 at 7:18 am

I believe that this article is about the 343 NY Firefighters who were on duty on 9/11 and the MP Firefighters honoring their sacrifice and memory by placing flags at Station 1.

It is no different that honoring the memories of those military men and women in uniform during the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

Regardless of your other views, please respect the individuals who have given all in the service of their country.

Posted by Interested
on Sep 11, 2010 at 9:35 am

There is something wrong here. This article is about the courageous men and women who RAN INTO the World Trade Center when everyone else was trying to run out.

That anyone, on this day, would use this forum to disrespect those people disgusts me.

Posted by Menlo Voter
on Sep 11, 2010 at 9:50 am

"I did not serve to protect views such as yours-sorry."

Actually, that is exactly the purpose of the military. To protect our rights, including freedom to espouse views that are totally repugnant. That is part of what makes this country great. While I find Mr. Steinberg's view disgusting, I will defend to the death his right to say it.

Posted by Rodney King
on Sep 11, 2010 at 10:07 am

Can't we all get along?

Posted by Willy
a resident of Woodside: other
on Sep 11, 2010 at 10:54 am

Mr. Davis:

Not often I'm on the same side of one of your statements.

But in this case: "bingo"

Posted by Joe
a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Sep 11, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I agree with Willy.

Posted by Joe
a resident of Menlo Park: Allied Arts/Stanford Park
on Sep 11, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Let me add that I don't know Mr. Davis and did not mean to imply that I agreed with that part of Willy's comment. The Patriot Act, though, is an abomination.

Posted by Bob
on Sep 12, 2010 at 12:14 am

Thank you MP Fire District for honoring those who sacrificed all on 9/11. The flags say it all.

Posted by George
a resident of Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
on Sep 12, 2010 at 10:20 am

I agree Bob thank you MPFD for what you do. In this time of remembrance I would also like to extend my thanks to our peace officers and armed forces for putting their lives on the line every day for my family and I. I hope that fire department can come to some sort of amicable conclusion to their contract stalemate I keep reading about in this paper and blog. Please understand we all have to give a little in these tough economic times.
George

Posted by great
on Sep 13, 2010 at 5:49 am

i saw this and i thought this was a very nice creative way to pay tribute....and this was in EPA..i drove past others, i guess it went past thier minds...

Couples: Philosophy of Love