President Obama in Atherton tonight

President Obama attended a fundraising event for San Francisco District Attorney Kamala Harris at a private residence in Atherton on Thursday night. Ms. Harris is a candidate for California attorney general.

The event was held at the Atherton home of former state controller Steve Westly. A venture capitalist, Mr. Westly ran for governor on the Democratic ticket in 2006 and co-chaired Mr. Obama's California campaign in 2008.

Traffic on the Alameda de las Pulgas was halted for a time as the presidential motorcade passed.

The motorcade departed the Westly residence around 6:20 p.m.

The president schedule called for him to travel to a private residence in Palo Alto to deliver remarks at a Democratic National Committee dinner at 7 p.m. See Full security locks down Palo Alto's Addison Ave. (Palo Alto Online).

Comments

Posted by Ano Nymous
on Oct 21, 2010 at 1:58 pm

[Post removed; personal attack.]

Posted by Ano Nymous
on Oct 21, 2010 at 2:59 pm

[Post removed. Terms of use.]

Posted by Prof. Gates
on Oct 21, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Can Obama sit down with Buckheit and the cops to work things out while in Atherton?

Posted by Ano Nymous
on Oct 21, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Yes, Mr. Obama, please spend all the time you like campaigning in California. If your wife can break away from her latest exotic vacation, please bring her along as well. [Portion removed; terms of use.]

Posted by Ano Nymous
on Oct 21, 2010 at 5:28 pm

[Post removed; terms of use.]

Posted by Ano Nymous
on Oct 21, 2010 at 5:36 pm

By the way, please note that Kamala Harris, for whom Mr. Obama is campaigning in Atherton, is running for Attorney General of California. Her credentials include serving as DA of a city (SF) that is crime-infested, even more so now than before due to the bungling and subsequent forced dismissal of hundreds if not thousands of drug cases; refusal by DA Harris even to seek the death penalty for a convicted cop killer; frustration of crime prevention due to the dictates of the ACLU, which include not using modern equipment to monitor known high-crime areas; and flouting of state law, such as those involving marriage and illegal immigration.

Posted by Ano Nymous
on Oct 21, 2010 at 5:40 pm

So, the part of my prior post that is now considered in violation of "terms of use" was that suggesting that if Obama campaigns for Democratic office seekers, they are more likely to lose. Do you consider this to be inaccurate? If so, do you consider such a statement to be in some manner in violation of your "terms of use?" How so? [Please note terms of use. The issue is not your deleted posts.]

Posted by Bob
on Oct 21, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Interesting that Mr. Obama has time to collect money for his party in support of Democratic candidates. Interesting also that many fellow Democrats are distancing themselves from the Obama-Pelosi party and that Mr. Clinton is more popular than the current president..........that doesn't say much for those who are asking for Mr. Obama's support.

Posted by Ano Nymous
on Oct 21, 2010 at 9:27 pm

[Post removed. Stick to topic.]

Posted by anonymous
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Oct 22, 2010 at 9:35 am

So many folks unhappy that a President raises money for his party. Have you all been unhappy about this for a long time, even when the other side does it?

Want to remove Union and Corporate money from buying politicians?

Public financing of elections. It works in a blue state (Maine) and a red state (Arizona.) Coupled with forcing networks that use public airwaves to offer free or near free public service ads, and money is greatly removed from politics.

A simple question with the public paying for elections: who do you want owning American politicians - unions & corporations, or us?

So those of you bashing the President, are you bashing him because of the system, or because you hate him?

Posted by WhoRUpeople
on Oct 22, 2010 at 11:00 am

anonymous - We have an issue that you and I can actually, at least partially agree on. I am a republican (big surprise, eh?). I didn't vote for President Obama, nor will do so next election. However, as head of his party, like every other president that has served since I've been of voting age, he can, and should support his party through fund raising efforts. As for banning private donations, while philosophically I think it would be a good thing, realistically, I don't see it happening. That having been said; you just let me know of yet another reason for me to really like all I hear about the great free State of Arizona.

Posted by anonymous
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Oct 22, 2010 at 11:24 am

Who:

Public financing does not preclude private donations in a traditionally run campaign, only to those who sign up for public financing who promise to run "clean."

Arizona public financing in depth, from (omg, the horrors!) public television's "Now" 2006 episode:
Web Link

And from someone the right really detests, Bill Moyers:
Web Link

Enjoy. And I firmly believe we have lots more that we agree on, as opposed to our (my) more vocal disagreements. Just more fun with the vocal stuff!

Posted by Ano Nymous
on Oct 22, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Response to anonymous of Lindenwood (above):

The answer is, Yes! I bash Obama because I hate HIS system, AND because I hate HIM!

Posted by anonymous
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Oct 22, 2010 at 7:55 pm

"I bash Obama because I hate HIS system"

Democracy?

Or is he a bridge player who uses non-conventional bidding?

Or is he coaching his daughter's sports teams with an unorthodox philosophy?

We sort of got your hatred part, though. Tea baggers amuse me.

Posted by Hmmm
on Oct 23, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Interesting. You're savvy enough to afford to live in Lindenwood, but you state that you "hate" the president and his "system." Why don't you do something useful with your vitriol? It's odd - it comes across as puerile.

Posted by queencory
a resident of Hillview Middle School
on Oct 23, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I want to go to a $34K dinner...don't know if my figure is right, but you get the gist...why was Millbrae Avenue closed down last week...huge commute nightmare!

Posted by anonymous
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Oct 23, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Hmmm:

Re-read, please. I was quoting the hater above, and mocking him.

I am no Obama fan, but prefered him over a candidate who thought Sarah was ready to be a heartbeat away.

Stunning, in hindsight.

Posted by Hmmm
on Oct 23, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Sorry, anonymous. I got the poster right, the neighborhood wrong. I was responding to Ano Nymous.

What do you mean by stunning in hindsight?

Posted by anonymous
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Oct 23, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Sorry, wasn't clear.

Stunning in hindsight, that Obama's opponent thought Palin was ready to be a heartbeat away.

Salt & Straw Palo Alto to open Nov. 23

Lakes and Larders (part 2)