Wednesday: Atherton council sets special 5 p.m. meeting to install new member

The Atherton City Council will break with tradition Wednesday, Dec. 15, when it installs new member Bill Widmer during a special session preceding its regular 7 p.m. meeting.

Mr. Widmer, Jerry Carlson and Jim Dobbie will take their oaths of office at a 5 p.m. meeting. That means that Mr. Widmer, rather than outgoing Councilman Charles Marsala, will attend the closed-session meeting that begins at 6 p.m.

The agenda for the 5 p.m. session includes presentation of proclamations to Mr. Marsala, and a message from outgoing mayor Kathy McKeithen.

The 6 p.m. closed session agenda includes the appointment of an interim city manager, and a conference with legal counsel about two potential lawsuits, and the pending lawsuit of Jon Buckheit, who is suing Atherton, the county, three police officers and Councilman Jerry Carlson for matters related to his 2008 arrest and its aftermath.

At 7 p.m., the council will meet for its regular session, tackling an agenda that includes final approval of a special Parker Avenue zoning overlay district.

The council will also discuss a proposed garbage collection rate hike, and will give staff direction on the level of increase. The staff is recommending an average rate hike of 42.5 percent, although residents using the largest containers will pay the heftiest portion of the increase.

The meetings will be held in the Town Council Chambers at 94 Ashfield Road Road, in the Town Center.

Go to Agendas to review the agendas and staff reports.

Comments

Posted by videofan
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Dec 14, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Well, our mayor gets her final pound of flesh from poor Charles, not even honoring him the dignity of attending the session of what should be his final meeting. Class move, as one would expect from this leader of our local democracy. Doesn't leave him much time for his much deserved recognition of service either, but I'm sure pleanty of time for her "outgoing message".

Nice going Charles, you served your community well, and your deserve not only my thanks as a resident but of the Peninsula community as a whole. You'll be missed. You are a good man.

Posted by Really?
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Dec 14, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Do you think the circumstances of Mr. Marsala's departure from the council justify a major celebration?

Posted by Tim Wulff
on Dec 15, 2010 at 12:24 am

Charles Marsala served the interests of the contractors and developers with a crass indifference to common civility and treated decent, ethical members of the town with hostility and disdain in public and I have many documented examples of that fact.

He misrepresented facts in statements directed against me personally in this venue which I rebutted with the truth and no response was ever made.

He was investigated and the results of that investigation and the relationship of that investigation to the settlement of the case against Mr. Johns have never been publicly revealed. Why don't you take a split second and try to think carefully about what that might mean.

I'm sick to death of people making self-serving statements on this venue without presented any factual basis for their statements or revealing their identity and known associations.

Kathy McKeithen is solely responsible for achieving a partial stabilization of the functioning of the building department which was destabilized by the actions of the majority of council of which Mr. Marsala was a continual voting aspect.

Get real.

How about a single element of truth in your statement.

I'm an eyewitness, a named person, and you're an anonymous what?

Posted by videofan
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Dec 15, 2010 at 12:31 am

Major celebration? I'm not talking a parade here, or a street named after him, or a key to the city. Just, after 8 years of doing his best (and yes, exposing his human side as only this day and agr can do) and stepping down with some class.

Would it have been that hard to be cival? Would 1 more meeting had made THAT much of a difference?

Im a student, and read this forum daily. I would NEVER consider running for a political position (volunteer) for the grief I read here daily.

I'll post here again in 6 months, but read daily

Posted by videofan
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Dec 15, 2010 at 12:45 am

Mr Wulff,

Im sorry you don't care for my anonimity, but unlike you, I live here and these transgressions affect me and my family. These are my neighbors. How dare you cast your own set of rules and charges to this forum. I mean, alls you ever did was check plans part time here. Never actually worked for the town. And what of ALL the accusations you have made have ever been proven.

You sir, and other non-residents are the big pot stirrers as far as I can see. Go away to your next part time job please, and leave us be. This is all really none of your business.

Posted by Ed
a resident of Atherton: other
on Dec 15, 2010 at 1:54 am

Vidiofan--Like yourself Mr Wulff lived in this town with his family and he most certainly did work for it. He genuinely loved Atherton and I suspect he still does or he wouldn't bother to post. Both his home life and career were seriously effected by the town's disfunction and though no longer our neighbor, as our victim, he has every right to express his frustration and concern on this forum. Just as you do.

Posted by good bye and good riddance
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Dec 15, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Marsala was a disaster.

Atherton's better off without him.

His big mouth cost the Town over $600,000 in a wrongful termination suit.

His having solicited money from a member of the community involved in litigation gave Atherton unwanted noriety up and down the peninsula and beyond.

He whispered in the ears of his developer friends, urging them to protest fees he voted to approve. Now the Town doesn't even have money to rebuild its roads.

With friends like Charles, who needs enemies?

Salt & Straw Palo Alto to open Nov. 23

Trials of My Grandmother
By Aldis Petriceks | 2 comments | 1,421 views

Lakes and Larders (part 2)