Hit and run with injury leaves no one injured

Menlo driver allegedly strikes bike and flees

A 48-year-old man encountered a gold Lexus while riding his bike along Avy Avenue in Menlo Park on a sunny Thursday afternoon, that much seems certain.

The nature of the encounter, however, remains under investigation. According to police spokeswoman Nicole Acker, the Lexus may have rear-ended the bicycle around 3:30 p.m. on Jan. 20.

But when the rider told the driver -– an elderly woman with a British accent -- that she'd hit him, the woman allegedly responded, "No, I didn't," and drove away.

The bicyclist reported the accident to the police one hour later. He did not get the car's license plate number, and although the police log reports the incident as a hit-and-run with injury, he was physically unharmed.

Comments

Posted by cc
a resident of Woodside: Mountain Home Road
on Jan 21, 2011 at 12:31 pm

So why did the cyclist wait an hour to report the accident?

Posted by Nice Headline
on Jan 21, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Should we forward your article to Jay Leno for use on the Tonight Show? That is a classic heading the country should see!!!

Posted by Baggins
a resident of Menlo Park: Menlo Oaks
on Jan 21, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Maybe the injury was to the bike. There are a lot of close calls out there. Drivers distracted by adjusting their radio or looking in the glove compartment or on the seat or floor for something. Texting. Talking to a passenger, etc.

I have to admit to something, though. Once I rear-ended a pickup with my bicycle! He stopped too fast in a left-turn lane and my bike's brakes weren't up to par. I couldn't stop in time. Fortunately the hospital where I worked was only a block away.

Posted by murphstahoe
on Jan 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Baggins - I've done the same. The rear end of this Lexus was trashed. I started contemplating how much this was going to cost me and then... the Lexus sped off! Saved me a lot of money for an accident in which I was at fault and was prepping to pay up.

As to the original incident. The elderly woman was later quoted as saying "I see cyclists running stop signs all the time". The paradox that she sees the cyclists running the stop signs but didn't see the one that landed on the hood of her car could not be explained.

Posted by downtowner
on Jan 21, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Baggins - You said the pickup stopped "too fast". Maybe you were following too closely?

Posted by Hmmm
on Jan 22, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I wonder if it's the same rude Brit I interacted w/in downtown Menlo a couple months ago. The car description sounds similar. This lady's denial was a river all its own!

Couples: Philosophy of Love