Click here to see all photos. Click on photos to enlarge and see captions.
President Obama dined in Woodside on Thursday night with high-tech executives. He arrived around 5:40 p.m. at San Francisco International Airport and flew by military helicopter to Woodside for a dinner at the home of venture capitalist John Doerr.
The helicopter landed at Canada College in Woodside, and the president traveled by motorcade to Mr. Doerr's home.
Almanac reporter Miranda Simon captured the scene near Roberts market where about 35 people gathered, waiting to get a glimpse of the president.
"I don't think (I'll see President Obama). They're probably not going to turn the lights on and roll down the window," said Sue Bishop.
Justin Pretre, 5, looked at a laminated black-and-white poster with pictures of all the presidents of the United States.
"He wants to see George Washington and Abraham Lincoln" said Tina Lount, his mother, carrying 3 year-old Landon on her shoulders. "Why do you like Abraham Lincoln?" she asked Justin.
"Because it's his birthday soon," he responded.
The two toddlers are wearing matching green raincoats. Their cheeks are flushed because of the cold.
Ms. Lount points to President Obama on the poster. "If you look real cute," she said, "maybe he'll wave at you."
Lauren Giurata, 15, was getting dinner with her dad when they saw the sheriff's patrols and asked them what was happening. When they heard the president was coming they decided to stick around.
Just then, the motorcade came through: An ambulance, two armored vehicles and a few black Escalades. People started whispering, "That's them, that's them"
After the motorcade, Ms. Lount said Justin was disappointed he didn't get to see Obama.
"It was only cars," said Justin.
"What did you expect to see?" asked his mother.
"The whole president!" he said, raising his arms.
"I think I might have caught a glimpse of him," said Mia Ferrari and excused herself immediately: "I have to Facebook this!"
Below is a list of those invited to dine with Mr. Obama. Many are residents of Atherton or Woodside:
- John Doerr, partner, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers
- Carol Bartz, president and CEO, Yahoo!
- John Chambers, CEO and chairman, Cisco Systems
- Dick Costolo, CEO, Twitter
- Larry Ellison, co-founder and CEO, Oracle
- Reed Hastings, CEO, NetFlix
- John Hennessy, president, Stanford University
- Steve Jobs, chairman and CEO, Apple
- Art Levinson, chairman and former CEO, Genentech
- Eric Schmidt, chairman and CEO, Google
- Steve Westly, managing partner and founder, The Westly Group
- Mark Zuckerberg, founder, president, and CEO, Facebook