News

Chowchilla kidnapper gets parole date

 

By Jeff Shuttleworth

Bay City News Service

A state parole panel Tuesday (April 5) upheld a previous ruling that grants parole to one of the three men who kidnapped a busload of Chowchilla schoolchildren in 1976 and buried them in a quarry in Livermore.

The kidnappers were all from wealthy families in Atherton and Portola Valley.

However, the panel also ruled that Richard Schoenfeld, 57, will not be paroled for more than 10 years, setting a November 2021 release date.

Any governor in the next 10 years could ask parole officials to reconsider their decision to release Schoenfeld, but Alameda County Deputy District Attorney Jill Klinge, who opposes his release and attended his hearing Tuesday (April 5), said she thinks such a move is unlikely.

Schoenfeld, his brother, James Schoenfeld, and Frederick Woods were in their early- to mid-20s when they ambushed a busload of school children July 15, 1976, from Dairyland Union School in Chowchilla, a small farm community about 35 miles south of Fresno in Madera County.

The men left the bus camouflaged in a creek bed and drove the children and bus driver, Ed Ray, to the California Rock and Gravel Quarry in Livermore.

The kidnappers sealed their victims in a large van that had been buried in a cave at the quarry and fitted out to keep the children and driver hostage.

The kidnappers then demanded a $5 million ransom for the return of the 26 children and driver.

The hostages escaped from the buried van more than 24 hours after they were first kidnapped when Ray and the two oldest children piled mattresses to the top of the van and forced their way out.

The three men received life sentences after pleading guilty in 1977 to 27 counts of kidnapping for ransom.

Richard Schoenfeld has been denied parole more than 20 times, but in October 2008, a parole panel ruled that he was suitable for parole. However, the panel didn't set a release date for him.

But in August 2009, a second panel decided against granting parole to Schoenfeld, saying that a third panel should consider whether granting parole would be "improvident."

The third panel held its hearing on the matter Tuesday at the California Men's Colony in San Luis Obispo, where all three kidnappers are being held, and it ruled that parole would be appropriate for Schoenfeld.

Woods and James Schoenfeld haven't yet been found suitable for parole.

Klinge said she told the parole panel that she doesn't think Richard Schoenfeld is eligible for parole, in part because of his participation in a scheme in which inmates falsified their prison work time cards in an effort to get more pay and another incident in which he used a computer without authorization.

She said she thinks Schoenfeld "has a propensity to be a follower."

Klinge said a ruling by the California Supreme Court in August 2008 made it more difficult for a parole panel to find Schoenfeld unsuitable for parole.

Previously, even a model prisoner serving a life sentence could be denied parole based on the gravity of the crime. Now, the parole board must find an additional factor showing the inmate could be dangerous in order to deny parole repeatedly.

Schoenfeld's attorney, Scott Handleman, could not be reached for comment.

Handleman and others held a news conference in San Francisco on Feb. 23 to call for the release of all three convicted kidnappers.

Among those who said the three men should be released was retired California Court of Appeal Justice William Newsom, the father of Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by Bob
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Apr 6, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I was a friend of Ricky Schoenfeld in the 60's. No excuses for his participation in a horrific act, but he was truly a gentle human being when I knew him. I agree with the DA that he was a follower and he has paid dearly. I truly hope Ricky gets parole after spending his entire adult life in prison.

By the way, Ricky lived in Atherton, not Woodside as erroneously reported by the Almanac reporter.


Like this comment
Posted by american nurse
a resident of Menlo Park: Downtown
on Apr 11, 2011 at 12:30 pm

american nurse is a registered user.

Absolutely no parole for this person. I remember well this case. You need to put yourselves in the children's shoes. They just want him paroled because he is a rich kid. FORGET IT!


Like this comment
Posted by Lee
a resident of Woodside High School
on Aug 28, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I remember this account, my son was two years old, the horrendous crime against these children and their parents in the name of making themselves "successful" is mind boggling. I was 22 yrs. old, raising my son as a single parent and never would i have thought to resort to crime for money to make my family proud of me.

It was a terrible crime and even if "Rick" went to his parents after the fact, Rick, you did the most heinous in-justifiable crime to those children, their parents and the buss driver , time will never erase it for them. STOP!!!! The next judge will be the one u face when u leave this earth. May God have mercy on your soul


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Salt & Straw Palo Alto to open Nov. 23
By Elena Kadvany | 0 comments | 3,941 views

Lakes and Larders (part 2)
By Laura Stec | 0 comments | 1,365 views