Bottling plant closure to cost 150 jobs

By Caitlin Moyles

Special to the Almanac

About 150 people will lose their jobs when an alcohol bottling facility on Commonwealth Drive in Menlo Park closes on July 31. The plant belongs to Diageo, a UK-based company that sells brands that include Smirnoff, Baileys, Guinness, and Captain Morgan.

Diageo decided to close the plant on Commonwealth Drive after a strategic review of its supply operations, according to a statement issued by the company.

The closure is a blow to the 128 union workers and approximate 20 non-union workers who have tried to find solutions to keep the plant open, said Fred Pecker, secretary-treasurer of International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 6.

A total of 53 of the union workers have been there more than 20 years, and 18 of those have been there more than 34 years, he said.

"We have a lot of people who've spent a lifetime in that plant," Mr. Pecker said. "A lot of these people were planning on retiring, and now they have to go out and look for jobs."

Comments

Posted by westside trucker
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Jun 17, 2011 at 9:53 am

Further proof that it is not worth it to operate a busiess in California. They might as well put up signs that read, " Business's that hire people are not welcome here ".

Posted by Alfred E Newman
a resident of Atherton: other
on Jun 17, 2011 at 11:03 am

WT: "Further proof that it is not worth it to operate a business in California."

Where's YOUR PROOF for your statement?

There's nothing in the article about any state regulation or similar restrictions.

Diageo said it was a shipping cost issue.

Their choice. My choice now is a more personal one: should I support Diageo branded gins or buy something made locally: anchor Web Link 209 Web Link or the fellas right up the road in Belmont Web Link

Diageo is mega-huge, lots of brands, Web Link including tanq, a classic, tho not a fav. But Diageo supports a lot of great causes locally, like the Oscar Gala in the city.

Out of who's bathtub shall I sip gin? Obvious: for all the good Diageo may have done, I have to support the local folks. Diageo isn't even an American company (but then, neither is Bud, anymore, sigh...)

On the more serious note: good luck to the workers. I hope they get a decent package and can entice another distiller to take over the facility.

Posted by Westside trucker
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Jun 17, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Mr Newman. Are you a business man ?

Posted by The Mad Hatter
on Jun 17, 2011 at 3:46 pm

[Post removed; attacks on other posters violate terms of use.]

Posted by Alfred E Newman
a resident of Atherton: other
on Jun 17, 2011 at 5:02 pm

WsT: I've done well, thanks. I owe much to this great state and nation.

And you?

Posted by Menlo Voter
on Jun 17, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Mr. Newman:

you didn't answer the question - "are you a business man?"

Posted by Alfred E Newman
a resident of Atherton: other
on Jun 17, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Mr. Voter: very good, ding ding ding, you win a prize. No, I didn't answer. Why should I at this point? And what is your concern?

WsT made a false claim, and now he wants to attack the messenger. He wants to deflect from his error without admitting it?

Perhaps I'll answer the question when he gets to a point. If his point is to attack, why should I bother answering his question - he won't care about an anonymous person's claim any more than I care whether he claims to drive a truck or claims to own a fleet of trucks.

"I've done well, thanks" and I'll leave it at that. Some of the posters know me away from these boards, though not under this name. Perhaps we know each other, MV, though with our nom de plumes, it's unlikely we'll ever find out. We've both made the choice of anonymity.

So, given the hour: are you a gin man, or more of a scotch type?

Posted by Menlo Voter
on Jun 17, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Actually, Mr. Newman, I'm a champagne (or sparkling wine if it's not french) man.

Posted by Alfred E Newman
a resident of Atherton: other
on Jun 17, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I'll raise mine towards you, from one "other neighborhood" to another...

To you and yours...

Posted by Thirsty
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Jun 27, 2011 at 8:36 am

Given the uptick in demand for Kool Aid in Menlo Park wouldn't it make sense to convert the plant into a Kool Aid bottling Plant?

Posted by Sparkey
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I am sure that the union "Pay me not to work" mentality had nothing to do with this.

Couples: Engaged on Valentine’s Day! Topics to Discuss