Update: Bicyclist, 64, dies after collision with car

Traffic diverted from Bayfront Expressway until 2:30 p.m.

A 64-year-old bicyclist has died after his bike and a Lincoln Town Car collided in Menlo Park on Wednesday (Aug. 24).

Richard Buckley, of Redwood City, was riding his bike at the intersection of Chilco Street and Bayfront Expressway around 11:13 a.m. when the accident occurred, according to police. He was taken to Stanford Hospital and later died.

Investigators said the driver of the 2008 Lincoln Town Car showed no signs of alcohol or drug impairment and cooperated with police.

Traffic was diverted on Bayfront Expressway between Willow Road and Chrysler Drive until 2:30 p.m. to assist in the investigation.

The Menlo Park Police Department asks anyone who witnessed this accident to call 330-6300.

Comments

Posted by cycletoworkthere
a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Aug 24, 2011 at 3:51 pm

The light at that intersection sends pedestrians into traffic at the same time the oncoming left turn signal sends cars across the crosswalk. I have nearly been hit twice there. Very dangerous.

Posted by Ron Garbez
a resident of Menlo Park: Fair Oaks
on Aug 24, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I know he's a safe and strong man. I can't imagine him doing anything to put himself or others knowingly in harm's way. He is in my thoughts and I wish him the best.

Posted by Scholar
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Aug 25, 2011 at 12:40 pm

If cycletoworkthere's comment is correct, or even close to correct, those lights should be re-programmed. I hope he reports it to the City authority.

Posted by traffic lights
on Aug 25, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Traffic lights that allow cars to turn across the crosswalk when pedestrians are in the crosswalk are too common in this area. A woman was killed in Palo Alto recently at an intersection with similar lights. Car drivers need to check the crosswalk even when they have a green light. Usually you can see if the walk light is on, but sometimes not.

Posted by James Madison
on Aug 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Is it my imagination or has there been a significant increase this year in bicyclists being hit and killed by cars locally? (woman by truck on Alpine Road, man on Woodside road, man on El Camino and now this, and I probably am forgetting one).

Posted by Scholar
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Aug 26, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Right -- I was stopped for a pedestrian whilst making a left-turn at a Sand Hill Road intersection. The driver behind me blasted her horn because I had stopped her progress, then pulled around on my right side to complete her left turn unimpeeded. As the pedestrian crossed her path in the crosswalk, she screeched to a halt right next to me. I suppose her hurriedness didn't make her trip any faster.

Ice cream shop opens at Stanford Shopping Center
By Elena Kadvany | 1 comment | 5,088 views

The Last Straw

Couples: Do you Really Agree or are you Afraid of not Agreeing?
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 978 views

Trying to enjoy the routines again
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 491 views

The Almanac Readers' Choice ballot is here

It's time to decide what local business is worthy of the title "The Almanac Readers' Choice" — and you get to decide! Cast your ballot online. Voting ends May 28th. Stay tuned for the results in the July 18th issue of The Almanac.

VOTE HERE