Click on photo to enlarge.
Menlo Park and Atherton residents loved the popular sport of polo, seen here in an undated photo at the Menlo Circus Club. Competition was hot among players, who needed a string of six or more horses to take part. Regular play began in 1915 and continued until the Depression hit in the 1930s; it resumed in 1954, when Atherton resident William Gilmore revived twice-a-week contests at the Circus Club. Photo courtesy of the Menlo Park Historical Association.