Menlo Park church founder Hattie Bostic dies at 76

Click on pictures to enlarge.

By Dave Boyce

Almanac Staff Writer

The rafters may ring again at Mt. Olive Apostolic Original Holy Church of God in Menlo Park's Belle Haven neighborhood, but not to the vocal Amens and enthusiastic clapping and singing associated with the weekly sermons of Elder Hattie L. Bostic, the church's founder (in 1963) and its only pastor.

Elder Bostic died Friday, Dec. 9, at the age of 76 at her home in Menlo Park, where she had lived for over 50 years, church member Laurita Wheeler told the Almanac.

A memorial and service is set to begin at 10 a.m. Friday, Dec. 23, at the Mt. Olive church at 605 Hamilton Ave. in Menlo Park. For more information, call the church at 853-0355.

The occasions of Elder Bostic's Sunday sermons were "very jubilant, very upbeat," Ms. Wheeler said. Elder Bostic's words reflected her intense study of the Bible, she added. "The sermons were never the same and were power-packed and dynamic."

Church membership is around 180, and includes residents of Fremont and Hayward as well as East Palo Alto and Redwood City, Ms. Wheeler said.

Elder Bostic headed a nationwide organization of 24 Apostolic Original Holy churches, traveled frequently for speaking engagements, and wrote 10 "study" books, in which she interpreted sections of the Bible, Ms. Wheeler said.

Taking over for Elder Bostic in Menlo Park will be the oldest of her five sons, Teman Bostic, also of Menlo Park and a bishop of the church, Ms. Wheeler said.

Asked if Elder Bostic had interests outside the church she founded, perhaps a hobby, Ms. Wheeler warmly replied: "Her hobby was pretty much studying the word of God."

Elder Bostic was admitted to the San Mateo County Women's Hall of Fame in 1992.

Church members did manage to get her to Hawaii or a cruise about once a year "to get her away from the church," Ms. Wheeler said.

Founding the church

From her home in the Belle Haven neighborhood, Elder Bostic and several associates founded Mt. Olive in 1963 in her living room, according to church sources.

The church's first home was a storefront on Newbridge Avenue, but members later built a church on Hamilton Avenue in 1971 that, in 1992, was rebuilt as a larger church and community center.

Elder Bostic served as "cheerleader, chief fundraiser, contractor and bricklayer," according to an Almanac profile from 2006.

Matt Henry, former president of the Belle Haven Homeowners Association and a former Menlo Park planning commissioner, said in the profile that he "(could) not say too much about" Elder Bostic in praise of her work and presence in the community.

Life in Belle Haven and how to make it better was a passion for Ms. Bostic and Mt. Olive's membership of some 200 souls, the Almanac profile said. The church took on challenges common to low-income neighborhoods: lowering the crime rate, improving the schools, making housing more affordable, finding shelter for the homeless and helping those with substance abuse problems.

"She helps," Mr. Henry said at the time. "She always does."

Ms. Bostic, who grew up poor and sometimes homeless in Mobile, Alabama, knew of such community problems.

She was one of eight children in a broken home, and her mother was abused and sickly, the profile said. At age 9, Hattie went to work chopping wood in a wood yard to help support the family. "I'd go to school when I could, and chop wood when I could," she says in the profile. "I made $2 a week. At that time, $2 would almost buy groceries."

Elder Bostic is survived by sisters Ruthie Young and Oliestine Smith, both of Mobile, Alabama, and Patricia Lawson of San Jose; sons Teman, Charles and Michael Bostic of Menlo Park, and Tabbert and George Bostic of Hayward; and 14 grandchildren, friends of the family said.

Donations in Elder Bostic's name may be made to CPNDEC (Crime Prevention Narcotics & Drugs Education Center), 605 Hamilton Ave., Menlo Park, CA 94025.

Comments

Posted by Not A Fan
on Dec 12, 2011 at 3:46 pm

[Post removed. Inappropriate comment.]

Posted by Dina Morning
on Dec 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm

RIP...Dr. Bostic...You will be greatly missed.
Praying for the entire Bostic Family; the Mt Olive Church
family, and everyone grieving the loss of Dr. Bostic. Her name
alone rings synonymous with CHURCH!!!
I remember 197- ish meeting her, and her beauty FOR ME, was breathtaking....I remember feeling shy, and happy, and her sterness
stuck with me throughout my life, everytime I seen her, I'd make sure I'm on my best behavior....Lol, but, my thoughts, memories, et., there are way to many for this script! I miss u, snd was blessed by each and every encounter with you, rest in the Lord now, Beautiful, your earthly work is done now.
Resting knowing God's got you, and we will see you again, soon....
RIP Dr. H.L. Bostic, all my respect and regards, Ms Dina Morning & The Morning family.

Posted by kimesha wright
a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Dec 12, 2011 at 6:32 pm

yes i must say i wouldnt be the christian woman i am today with out her ministry... such an amazing woman of GOD!

Posted by CYNTHIA P SINGLETON
on Dec 13, 2011 at 6:44 am

AN "AWESOME AND UNIQUE WOMAN OF GOD". I WILL MISS HER GREATLY. HER DYNAMIC VOICE OF TEACHING AND PREACHING WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. R.I.P. DR. HATTIE L. BOSTIC. GOD BLESS!!!

Posted by Lillie T. Dailey
on Dec 13, 2011 at 10:45 am

"Gone But Not Forgotten"

Phillips Temple AOH Church of God

Mobile, AL

WE will SEE you in the MORNING!!!!!!!!

Posted by Pastor Valerie Lambert-Reed
on Dec 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Dr. Bostic was one of a kind. Such an anointing was on her that everyone she touched life was changed. I first met Pastor Bostic when I was a teenager and she came to our church to preach, she was the first woman minister that I saw wear a clergy collar. I just stared at her the whole time she spoke and was inspired. She was physically beautiful and didn't need to enhance what God had given her, she stood for holiness and she let us know that she would not settle for anything less. Whenever I feel like throwing in the towel (ministry)I think of her and then I can persevere. I thank God for meeting and having a fellowship with a woman of God like Pastor Bostic. I can feel the absence of her presence. I can just see her know with that little smirk on her face telling us "stay saved, it is real."

Posted by Sis. C.W.Houston & The Eaton Family
on Dec 14, 2011 at 9:32 am

We love you and will miss you!

Posted by Ernestine
a resident of Woodside: Woodside Heights
on Dec 19, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I am so sorry to hear this. Me and my Uncle was coming in last nite from a visiting church....and we were talking about how dead the service was...I said I got to go listen at some good gospel singing and preaching on tapes...B/c I'm depresssed . He said listen @ Pastor Hattie
Bostic...I looked at him with my mouth open... I said she still alive?
Don't know why I thought she was dead. I told him how I use to listen to her back in the day...and how I loved her..but lost contact...He said he hadn't listen within the last couple week b/c he was working but he would listen tonight. He said She comes on KFAX I think he said 1100 on fm....I didn't get to hear her b/c Family stop by. I'm sure my Uncle must didn't get to hear her last night or he would of called me with the news...now I'm trying to reach him to tell she passed..Blessing to Mother Family and My Sympathy . B Encouraged..U should be proud...Ur Mom was a bold soldier for the lord. I know she gone hear him say WELL DONE THY GOOD AND FAITHFUL SEVERANT!!!!!!!

Posted by Jamal Todd Shields
a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Dec 26, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I enjoyed listening to Elder Bostic over the years, late Sunday
evenings before ending my day. I noticed how annointed her ministry is and how her sermons were all different. Now that is a messenger from God. God bless the church and Elder Teman Bostic my classmate as he moves forward in the strength of our lord and savior.

Posted by MELODY
on Jan 14, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I CAN REMEMBER BACK IN THE DAY WAITING TO HEAR MT. OLIVE ON WGOK RADIO I GOT THE OPPORTUNITY TO MEET ELDER BOSTIC YEARS LATER DOING A ANNUAL PENTECOSTAL MEETING IN B'HAM, AL. AND YEARS LATER STILL FAITHFULLY LISTEN ON THE RADIO TO THE BROADCAST MY DESIRE WAS TO ATTEND A SERVICE IN MENLO PARK, AND GOD BLESSED AND GRANTED MY DESIRE AND I WAS ABLE TO TRAVEL AND BE APART OF ONE OF THE ANNUAL PENTECOASTAL MEETINGS IN MENLO PARK CALIFORNIA IT WAS AWESOME AND I ENJOYED MYSELF. SO TO HEAR THAT ELDER BOSTIC HAD PASS WAS A TOTAL SHOCK BUT TO NO THAT SHE WAS IN A MUCH BETTER PLACE BROUGHT SUCH A PEACE OVER ME AND I WILL FOREVER REMEMBER THE MANY MESSAGES I HEARD AND LOOK FORWARD TO THAT DAY WE WILL MEET AGAIN IN PARADISE.

Posted by Evangelist Michael Johnson, Jr.
a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Mar 2, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Dr. H.L. Bostic was a wise woman of God, very anointed, skillful, gifted, diligent and a hard-worker. She helped as many people, as she possibly could. She would even give her very last. The God she served, allowed her to do great things, during her time. Many great works and she is yet remembered this day, for her Religious Work, Community Service and Ministry all over the world for nearly 50 years or more. She was a spiritual mother to me, and also a spiritual grandmother in the Lord to me. I'll never ever forget her, and I'm grateful how she accepted me as one of her own sons, and family members. I love, and loved Dr. H.L. Bostic. I also love her ministry, the church she established through God's Grace, Mt. Olive A.O.H. Church of God, in Menlo Park, CA.

Posted by Name hidden
a resident of Atherton: West of Alameda

on Sep 28, 2017 at 3:24 am

Due to repeated violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are automatically removed. Why?

Downtown Redwood City gets Japanese kaiseki restaurant

Couples: Child Loss, "No U-Turn at Mercy Street"

Which Cocktail Has the Least Calories?