News


Update: Fire damages Menlo home near M-A

 

Firefighters extinguished a one-alarm fire this morning (Dec. 13) at a Menlo Park home near Menlo-Atherton High School, a fire official said.

At about 5:30 a.m., crews responded to a report of fire at 390 Ringwood Ave., where arriving firefighters found flames burning through several spots on the roof, Menlo Park Division Chief Frank Fraone said.

"The attic was on fire, from one end of the home to the other," he said."

Neighbor Don Wallace said the sirens woke him from a deep sleep. "You're lying in bed expecting them to go on by, but they came to a stop very near our house and I thought I should get up and see what it is." He spotted a fleet of emergency vehicles, including a police car that blocked off traffic from Middlefield Road.

By the time the homeowner realized the building was on fire, the blaze had already disabled the phone lines and electricity, Chief Fraone said. The resident, who had been the only person inside, escaped safely and used a passerby's cell phone to report the fire.

Firefighters worked for about 20 minutes to control the fire. No one was injured. "Because of the amount of fire, it was difficult to extinguish," Chief Fraone said.

Mr. Wallace rode a bike down the street on Tuesday afternoon to see what shape the house was in. He said the structure looked ok, but that portions near the garage were boarded up. Maintenance workers were continuing to clean up after the fire.

Although the cause remains under investigation, Chief Fraone said investigators believe the blaze was most likely sparked by an earlier grease fire that had not been completely extinguished.

"It looks like it may have gotten into the vent above the stove," Chief Fraone said.

He reminded homeowners to take the extra precaution of cleaning house before the holidays are in full swing. "It's that time of year to have your chimneys cleaned and your vent pipes cleaned," he said. "The buildup of creosote in the fireplace, the buildup of grease in the stove vent and the buildup of lint in the dryer vent all need to be cleaned out."

Bay City News contributed to this report.

Comments

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Ice cream shop opens at Stanford Shopping Center
By Elena Kadvany | 1 comment | 5,176 views

The Last Straw
By Laura Stec | 6 comments | 2,399 views

Couples: Do you Really Agree or are you Afraid of not Agreeing?
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,008 views

Trying to enjoy the routines again
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 518 views

 

The Almanac Readers' Choice ballot is here

It's time to decide what local business is worthy of the title "The Almanac Readers' Choice" — and you get to decide! Cast your ballot online. Voting ends May 28th. Stay tuned for the results in the July 18th issue of The Almanac.

VOTE HERE