By Jane Knoerle
Almanac Lifestyles Editor
It's a little early for the agapanthus, asters, salvia and hydrangeas to bloom in the Blue Garden at Allied Arts, but the Blue Garden Cafe is now open in the historic Menlo Park complex.
Blue Garden Cafe replaces Primavera Cafe, which closed the first of the year.
The new cafe is operated by JW Catering of Cupertino. It is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and is now serving lunch on the enclosed terrace overlooking the garden. Beverages and pastries will be available in the morning and afternoon.
No luncheon reservations are required.
When the weather warms, there will be service in the Blue Garden itself, with bistro tables surrounding a splashing fountain.
The opening menu includes a selection of salads and sandwiches, including a chicken salad sandwich and a hamburger. Grilled fish of the day and hot pasta dishes are also featured.
Dessert choices include berries with sweetened yogurt and flourless chocolate cake with berry compote.
Having lunch at Allied Arts is a tradition that dates back to the 1930s, shortly after the European-style crafts guild was constructed in 1929. For many years, the restaurant was operated by volunteer members of the Palo Alto Auxiliary to Children's Hospital. Generations of local residents fondly remember Christmas teas, "Bunny lunches," bridal showers, and birthday parties that have taken place there.
The Blue Garden Cafe is part of JW Catering, which will also provide the meals for weddings, conferences and other special events that take place at Allied Arts Guild.
Allied Arts is located at 75 Arbor Road in Menlo Park. It is owned and operated by the Allied Arts Auxiliary, formerly the Woodside-Atherton Auxiliary to the Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford. For more information, call 322-2405.