Firefighters from the Woodside Fire Protection District kept things safe in the area of Siesta Court in Ladera this afternoon between 3:50 and 4:30 p.m. until Pacific Gas & Electric workers shut off gas from a buried residential line that a contractor had accidentally severed.
Firefighters went door to door asking residents to shelter in place, a situation that lasted between 30 and 40 minutes, Battalion Chief Jerry Nave told the Almanac.
There were no injuries and no significant danger of an explosion thanks to the breezes and their frequent change of direction, Mr. Nave said. "It would build up for a bit and the wind would change direction and it would dissipate, and it worked out," he said.
The contractor had called 911, Mr. Nave said. Firefighters arrived and had no trouble smelling the leaking gas, Mr. Nave said. As for the source of the leak, they had that, too. About two feet of earth covered the damaged line and the leaking gas was tossing bits of earth into the air. "It was very obvious where it was," Mr. Nave said.
Nineteen firefighters were on the scene with three engines, a firetruck and one hose out and ready. Deputies from the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office kept the roads closed.