The two challengers in Atherton's November City Council election spent more than twice as much as the two incumbents, the final campaign finance filings for the 2014 election, which were due Feb. 2, show.
The overall spending totals show Rose Hau, who came in fourth in the race for three open council seats, spent slightly more at $19,390 than the other newcomer in the race, Mike Lempres, who spent $19,161 on his campaign. Mr. Lempres came in second in the election.
Incumbent Rick DeGolia, who finished first, spent $10,369 on his campaign while the other incumbent, Bill Widmer, who came in third, spent $7,155.
Ms. Hau also raised more money than any of the other candidates, bringing in $20,195. She loaned her campaign $3,266 but had enough money left, $4,071, to pay herself back.
During the last reporting period, which covers Oct. 19 to Dec. 31, 2014, Ms. Hau's major donors included: $500 from L. Freeman, Menlo Park, a self-employed consultant, and E. Jekot, Menlo Park, retired; $450 from J.J. Smith, Menlo Park, a homemaker; and $250 from Rosina Sun, Atherton, retired.
Mr. DeGolia raised $13,435 for his campaign, and ended up with even more than that still in his coffers because he started the campaign with a balance from his 2013 run for the council. He ended up with $16,339 in his campaign fund.
Mr. Degolia's major donors in the last reporting period included:
● $1,000 from J. D. Goldman, Atherton, retired.
● $500 from Elaine Wong, Santa Rosa, VP of marketing; J. Hannay, Burlingame, autodealer; S. Kaplan, Atherton, retired; M.A. Ladra, Atherton, retired; and R. Hellman, Atherton, retired.
● $250 from S.S. Byers, Menlo Park, homemaker; S. Hyatt, Atherton, homemaker; G. Dillabough, Atherton, venture capitalist; M.A. Stevens, Atherton, venture capitalist; M.P. Wythes, Atherton, homemaker; and R. Payne, Atherton, homemaker.
Mr. Lempres raised $13,107 and loaned himself $6,250. He had $96 in cash at the end of the campaign, leaving himself with outstanding debts of $6,250, the amount he had loaned himself.
In the final reporting period, Mr. Lempres major donors included:
● $1,000 from Kevin McCarthy for Congress, Bakersfield; and T.J. Rodgers, Woodside, Cypress Semiconductors.
● $500 from Eleanor Jekot, Menlo Park, retired; Lance Freeman, Menlo Park, a Realtor with Pacific Peninsula Group.
● $450 from Joyce Jekot Smith, Menlo Park, a homemaker.
Mr. Widmer raised $7,155 for his campaign and loaned himself $990. He paid himself back $953 at the end of campaign, forgiving the remaining $37 and leaving his campaign fund with a $0 balance.
Mr.Widmer had only two donors in the final reporting period: $500 from H.C. Clough, Atherton, retired; and $100 from Alfred Dau, Atherton, retired.