Two small earthquakes strike near Menlo Park

Two small earthquakes struck the Emerald Hills area Friday morning, Feb. 6, about two miles southwest of Redwood City, the USGS reported.

The first was a 3.1 magnitude quake at 3:44 a.m.

The second was 2.5 magnitude at 7:01 a.m.

Menlo Park residents reported on Twitter feeling a "strong jolt" and being "jolted awake pretty good."

There have been no reports of damage or injuries.

If you felt the quakes, let us know by posting below.

Comments

Posted by MMC
a resident of Menlo Park: The Willows
on Feb 6, 2015 at 12:26 pm

We are in the Willows and I was definitely jolted awake. I remember looking at the clock because I wondered whether it was an earthquake,airplane noise or someone falling out of bed. It was very short, which is why I didn't think it was an earthquake until I read this.

Posted by Patricia Arthur
a resident of Atherton: West of Alameda
on Feb 6, 2015 at 12:30 pm

The first earthquake was as if someone had tried to break my bedroom window but after getting out of bed and looking around I had no idea it was an earthquake!!!

Posted by pearl
on Feb 6, 2015 at 1:38 pm

pearl is a registered user.

We are about 4 miles NW of the quake epicenter. I felt the quake at 3:44 a.m. I was awake, and sitting at my desk. My computer monitor jiggled a bit, and I could feel a very brief shaking. An overhead chandelier did not sway. I was asleep when the second quake occurred at 7:01 a.m.

Posted by Bump-in-the-night
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Feb 6, 2015 at 1:56 pm

We are in central Atherton, 1/2-mile west of El Camino. We were jolted awake at 3:45 am by the house shaking and creaking. No damage but it was a heart-in-the throat moment.

1 person likes this
Posted by Menlo Parker
a resident of Menlo Park: University Heights
on Feb 6, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Posted by really?
on Feb 6, 2015 at 2:17 pm

'I felt a small jiggle at 7am; slept through the 3:44 one. Nothing really moved much.'

My wife said the same thing this morning but she was talking about me, and not the earthquake.

Posted by Jon Castor
a resident of Woodside: Woodside Heights
on Feb 6, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Jon Castor is a registered user.

A good 'wake up' call to check our supplies.

Water: Make sure you have enough water stored for you and your family. 1 gallon per person per day. Suggest a 7 day supply.

Food: Think through how many calories you will need per person per day and have the equivalent amount in food stored. Pick foods that have a long shelf life, that way you will not have to replace your supplies as often. Don't forget to include supplies for your pets!

(Excerpts from a note I received from Joanne Kurz after the quake.)

Posted by pearl
on Feb 6, 2015 at 10:12 pm

pearl is a registered user.

In order to be prepared in the event of a major disaster here in the SFBA, you might want to take advantage of the free CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) training that every city/town now offers. In the CERT classes, among other things, you learn how to take care of yourself, your family, and your pets for a period of at least three days. In the event of a disaster, emergency responders (police, fire, hazmat, etc.) will be busy responding to emergency situations, thus we all need to be prepared to take care of ourselves. The CERT training also includes CPR and first aid instruction; good skills to have.

San Francisco's Kristian Cosentino to open Mountain View wine bar