Menlo Park celebrates the Fourth

Kids with their decorated bikes, trikes and wagons paraded down Santa Cruz Avenue and headed for a festival in Burgess Park on Saturday to celebrate July Fourth in Menlo Park.

At the park, the kids and families partook of various entertainments, including jumpies, games, crafts, face-painting, rock walls, laser tag and live music by Mustache Harbor.

Comments

Posted by George Washington
on Jul 5, 2015 at 10:26 pm

I was really surprised at how little the celebration felt like the fourth of July. It was a kiddy celebration with no reference to the 4th except for the red, white and blue clothing worn by some. There were several inflatable jumpies and booths set up for child entertainment, which is great if you're five years old - not so great if you're over 30. I would have liked to salute the flag or heard a band that played some patriotic tunes or even an interesting talk about our founding fathers. There could have been entertainment for all ages.

Is celebrating our country's rich heritage politically incorrect? Did the children at the park even know why we celebrate the fourth of July?

Posted by Aaron
on Jul 6, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Aaron is a registered user.

My kids loved it and love the fourth of July. They are really interested in the holiday because they have learned all about it in pre-school and in our fantastic Menlo Park Schools (so, yes, the kids know why we celebrate the 4th of July, and if they don't, I'm sure their parents have explained it to them each year). I don't think the celebration was much designed for adults who did not come with kids. You can salute a flag and play some John Philip Sousa if you want to, but I personally would have found that, and a lecture about the founding fathers to be quite boring, and I can assure you, neither would have captivated the attention of my children.

Posted by George Washington
on Jul 6, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Celebrations should be for everyone, not just children. The Fourth of July is about celebrating this country's ndependence and freedom - it should be celebrated with more than inflatable jumpy toys. There could be games with revolutionary war themes, etc.

Posted by Crystal Blue Persuasion
a resident of Menlo Park: Belle Haven
on Jul 6, 2015 at 9:29 pm

We celebrated the 4th on Pope Street.

Posted by Aaron
on Jul 7, 2015 at 1:45 am

Aaron is a registered user.

"George", you're right that celebrations can be for everyone...but you seem to be operating with the assumption that every celebration needs to be for everyone (which is not really a valid assumption). This one is so clearly NOT for everyone. It starts with a kid parade that's not really a parade but more of an aimless stroll in the street with a police escort for no apparent reason other than the joy of being in a sheer mass that makes cars stop. While I love a good small town parade (I grew up in New England, where the 4th means a real parade with town clubs, fire trucks, marching bands, floats, etc., and the Boston Pops on the Esplanade in the evening), as far as I know, Menlo Park doesn't have one. Perhaps we should. Perhaps the event could use a theatrical display or two...feel free to put one together and suggest its inclusion on next year's schedule.

Posted by Lshore
on Jul 7, 2015 at 6:00 am

"There could be games with revolutionary war themes, etc."

I prefer we raise critical thinkers who can read and understand our great constitution, over stalin-esque indoctrination.

But thats just me...

Su Hong Palo Alto to close in 2019

Palo Alto Measures E, F and Z
By Steve Levy | 3 comments | 1,251 views

Menlo Park Council Selections for 2018
By Stuart Soffer | 3 comments | 1,165 views

Local Flavor – Lakes and Larders (part one)

Couples: It's Normal to Get Defensive . . . Then What?
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 707 views