News

Microwave sparks fire in home near Atherton

 

A structure fire caused by a microwave in a home just outside of Atherton caused an estimated $50,000 in damage Saturday, Menlo Park Fire Protection District officials said today.

A resident in the single-story, single-family, 1960s-era home at 2000 Stockbridge Ave. called at 10:42 a.m. Saturday, July 18, to report that a microwave in the kitchen was on fire, according to fire officials.

Firefighters found smoke coming from the front door that was visible in windows and called for additional support.

The fire in the 1,600-square-foot structure was knocked down shortly before 11 a.m. with no injuries reported, fire officials said.

Although fire officials know that the fire started with the microwave, the exact cause remains under investigation. The resident told investigators the microwave had last been used about five hours before the fire began.

— Bay City News Service

What is community worth to you?
Support local journalism.

Comments

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Don't be the last to know

Get the latest headlines sent straight to your inbox every day.

Natural wine bar Salvaje opens in Palo Alto
By Elena Kadvany | 0 comments | 1,823 views

Cap On? Cap Off? Recycling Bottles is Confusing
By Laura Stec | 41 comments | 1,701 views

Premarital and Couples: "Our Deepest Fear" by Marianne Williamson
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,460 views

Everything you've always wanted to know ...
By Sherry Listgarten | 12 comments | 1,029 views

The Menlo Park Planning For Civic Projects Needs A Major Reboot. (Part 1)
By Dana Hendrickson | 1 comment | 27 views