The first phase of Atherton's plans for making the town a friendlier and safer place for bicyclists and pedestrians will be presented to the public at a meeting on Tuesday night, Aug. 11. The meeting starts at 6 p.m. in the Jennings Pavilion in Holbrook-Palmer Park, 150 Watkins Ave.
The first project to put into place some of the improvements recommended in the Bike Pedestrian Master Plan, adopted by the town in late 2014, includes putting bike route signs and pavement markings (called sharrows) showing that cars and bikes should share the lane, on these Atherton streets:
● Elena Avenue, between Valparaiso Avenue and Atherton Avenue.
● Faxon Road, between Barry Avenue and Elena Avenue.
● Barry Lane, between Faxon Road and Atherton Avenue.
● Selby Lane, between Atherton Avenue and West Selby Lane.
● Dinkelspiel Station Lane, between Watkins Avenue and Fair Oaks Avenue.
● Austin Avenue, between Atherton Avenue and West Selby Lane.
● Atherton Avenue, between Alameda De Las Pulgas and El Camino Real.
● Fair Oaks Avenue, between El Camino Real and Middlefield Road.
● Alejandra Avenue, between El Camino Real and Emilie Avenue.
● Emilie Avenue, between Alejandra Avenue and Park Lane.
● Park Lane, between Emilie Avenue and Camino al Lago.
● Camino al Lago, between Park Lane and Alameda de Las Pulgas.
● Watkins Avenue, between El Camino Real and Middlefield Road.