As summer winds to a close, so will lounging in the pop-up park in downtown Menlo Park -- perhaps, but not definitely, forever.
Following a six-week pilot period, the small turf paseo situated on Chestnut Street between Menlo and Santa Cruz avenues will be dismantled between Sept. 28 and 30. The street is expected to reopen on Sept. 30 or Oct. 1.
"Our goal was to create something fun for Menlo Park and try it out and see what people thought," said Jim Cogan, Menlo Park's economic development manager.
He said that the pilot was met with mixed responses, as expected. Some people enjoyed the city's efforts to draw people to a new, pedestrian-friendly space downtown, while others were dissatisfied that the street had been blocked.
The next step of the pilot will be to gather community feedback about the paseo using a survey that is expected to be released in early October. After results are collected, they will be shared with relevant city commissions -- the Bicycle Commission, the Parks and Recreation Commission and the Transportation Commission -- before recommendations are made to the City Council about whether the paseo should become a permanent downtown feature.
After some discussion during the Sept. 14 Bicycle Commission meeting, commission members recommended that the paseo be made permanent in some fashion, Mr. Cogan said.