Menlo Park: Farewell Su Hong, hello Yum Cha Palace

Ever since Su Hong To Go in downtown Menlo Park changed hands in September, new owner Jason Kwan and his staff have been furiously reassuring panicking customers: "Everything is the same; nothing has been changed!" (beyond the name of the restaurant, which is now Chef Kwan's).

But Kwan's other forthcoming Menlo Park restaurant, Yum Cha Palace, will be somewhat of a departure from the Su Hong sit-down location that he's taken over, just steps away from the to-go outpost.

For more, read Elena Kadvany's Peninsula Foodist blog.

Comments

Posted by Sam
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Dec 8, 2015 at 1:16 pm

I was hopeful when Kwan took over Su Hong to Go. But I've now had 3 meals from there and been disappointed each time. It's a far cry from the flavors of Su Hong. The food is bland and the sweet and sour pork was tough. Maybe Mr. Kwan could get hold of the former chef's recipes.

Posted by Linda
a resident of Menlo Park: Suburban Park/Lorelei Manor/Flood Park Triangle
on Dec 8, 2015 at 4:14 pm

I have ordered food to go several times since the change in Sept. I haven't noticed any difference in taste or quality. Always delicious.

Posted by virginia
a resident of Menlo Park: Felton Gables
on Dec 8, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Their Chinese Chicken Salad just isnt the same as Su Hongs was. Flavorless IMHO!

Posted by Agnes Brydges
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Dec 8, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Compared to other places, my friends and I disliked Su-Hong. It just wasn't as good as other places, in our opinions (such as Chef Chu's and numerous others). We laughed for years after a so-so dinner at Su-Hongs about a couple sitting near us who kept saying as they had their dinner, "Yew Kayunt bayeet Su-Hong". We were laughing because this poor couple thought Su-Hong's food was the bill of faire, when to us, it just wasn't as good as all that. In our opinions, I must say!

Posted by Menlo Voter
on Dec 8, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Menlo Voter is a registered user.

Chef Chu's??!! Seriously?

Posted by Chaz
a resident of Menlo Park: Park Forest
on Dec 8, 2015 at 8:21 pm

agnes, there was a time when Chef Chu's was really excellent. Then the old man retired! I think it's the son who is running it now and it is not so good anymore. I used to go there quite often, but no more. The food is greasy and it caters to families, which is fine except when kids are allowed to run amok.

Too bad--bring back dad!

Posted by People
a resident of Atherton: Lindenwood
on Dec 15, 2015 at 9:58 am

Who are all these broken taste bud owners who think Su Hong's was good?
Really?....REALLY!?!?! OK whatever. Some people will vote for Trump too I guess...no accounting for taste.

Hotel restaurant to open in Mountain View