A residential fire at 275 Olive Hill Lane in Woodside on Thursday evening destroyed a workshop and the tools and materials inside, but firefighters prevented damage to a barn attached to the shop, according to Fire Chief Dan Ghiorso of the Woodside Fire Protection District.
Firefighters are looking at a device used to melt candle wax as the ignition source, Chief Ghiorso said. An investigation is underway. The resident may have been making candles and left the device unattended for a time, the chief said. "It was definitely unintentional," he said.
No one was injured, but initial estimates are that everything in the shop, including many tools, was destroyed, the chief said. Firefighters do not yet have an estimate on damages, he said.
The fire was reported at 5 p.m. and firefighters arrived less than four and a half minutes later, the chief said. They had the fire knocked down in 30 minutes and extinguished in 90 minutes, he said.
The one-alarm fire drew about 24 firefighters in all from the Woodside and Menlo Park fire protection districts and from the Redwood City Fire Department, the chief said.
The threat of the incident becoming a wildfire was not an issue in that the area around the shop was not heavily vegetated, the chief said.