Jogger reports she was sexually assaulted in Atherton Tuesday evening

Police seek video or witnesses

The Atherton Police Department is seeking video or witnesses who might have information about a sexual assault reported by an 18-year-old woman Tuesday.

Police said they know little more than that the woman said she was jogging on Isabella Avenue between 5 and 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 5, when someone came up behind her and threw her to the ground.

Currently, police said, they have no description of the suspect or the exact time or location of the incident.

They ask that anyone who saw anything or has video footage showing anyone on Emilie or Britton avenues or in the 100 blocks of Isabella or Elena avenues between 5 and 6 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 5, to contact the Atherton Police Department at (650) 688-6500.

Comments

Posted by Megan
a resident of Atherton: West Atherton
on Jan 6, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Unfortunately, no matter where we live or how safe our environment feels, there is always the possibility of predatory men waiting to attack unsuspecting women. It is easy to advise never jog alone, but there's not always someone with whom to jog. A big, trained dog would help, however, I feel that it is appropriate for girls and women to carry some form of defense such as pepper spray or --? My mother used to say she'd rather be judged by 12 people than carried by six. I'm inclined to agree.

Posted by Menlo Voter.
on Jan 6, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Menlo Voter. is a registered user.

"rather be judged by 12 people than carried by six."

Until you've been there.

Posted by Safety First
a resident of Portola Valley: Central Portola Valley
on Jan 7, 2016 at 10:13 am

"until you've been there"

If you're carried by 6 I'm assuming that you're on the way to the grave so personally I'd be willing to face the jury and hope for a better outcome.

As a father of two teen girls I've taught them to defend themselves as if their life depended upon it. Any man who dares to attack another human deserves a dire outcome, no matter what the law may say.

I'd like to hear more stories about people who "conclude" their attackers and I'm not afraid to say so.

Posted by Robert D.
on Jan 7, 2016 at 10:30 am

Robert D. is a registered user.

Unfortunately not everyone can have a dog, pepper spray, gun, etc. If they live on the Menlo College campus, unless things have changed recently, those are not allowed. Due to the vast expanse between homes, a whistle may help if you can get to it... There are items like portable alarms (the size of chapstick) that merely require you to pull it apart and a loud noise comes from it. It might be interesting to see if any of the home surveillance cameras picked this up - I am sure APD is looking into that

Posted by Menlo Voter.
on Jan 7, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Menlo Voter. is a registered user.

Safety first:

it's a trite saying. Anyone that has been tried by twelve can tell you it is a stressful, life changing event. And you may end up going to jail. Something to apply some thought to rather than clinging to trite sayings.

Posted by safety first
a resident of Portola Valley: Central Portola Valley
on Jan 7, 2016 at 2:17 pm

I'm lucky I've never been judged by an actual jury but it sounds like you have. I'll take your word for it about it being a life changing experience.
I have been sued and paid that price so I do my level best to stay out of court.

My point was that bad guys deserve bad outcomes and sometimes karma isn't quick enough. Peace be with you Menlo Voter(s)

Posted by Menlo Voter.
on Jan 7, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Menlo Voter. is a registered user.

peace be with you as well safety first

Couples: Drop Your Keyboard!

Coffeebar to expand to Redwood City