The original Menlo Park Hardware store was facing El Camino Real at the corner of Santa Cruz Avenue and "catered to building and farming needs of the community," according to "Menlo Park: Beyond the Gate" by historians Michael Svanevik and Shirley Burgett.
The store was founded by J. William Ryan and opened June 15, 1924; in 1928, younger brother Dominic Ryan joined the business as a partner, they write.
The brothers are shown in this 1929 photo.
The store, which over the years was run by a new generation of the family, eventually moved to 700 Santa Cruz Ave., where it remains today under new ownership.
(Photo: Menlo Park Historical Association.)