For three years Atherton's 94027 ZIP code has been listed by Forbes magazine as having the highest home prices in the country, but now the PropertyShark.com real estate website says based on actual sales prices, Atherton was second in 2015, far behind Sagaponack, New York.
The analysis by PropertyShark.com shows that, based on the median sales price of homes sold in 2015, Atherton with a median price of $5.9 million isn't really close to Sagaponack, with a median sales price of $8.5 million.
The Forbes rankings are based on asking prices rather than actual sales prices.
Other Peninsula ZIP codes on the PropertyShark list include:
● Number 5, Palo Alto's 94301 ZIP code, with median sales price of $3.15 million.
● No. 12, Los Altos Hills' 94022 ZIP code, at $2.75 million.
● No. 14, Los Altos Hills' 94024 ZIP code, at $2.6 million.
● No. 15, Portola Valley's 94028 ZIP code, at $2.55 million.
● No. 22, Palo Alto's 94306 ZIP code, at $2.28 million.
● N0. 24, Burlingame's 94010 ZIP code, at $2.21 million.
There is still hope for Atherton challenging Sagaponack this year. Zillow shows Atherton currently has these two listings:
Nearby Woodside, which also has skyrocketing housing prices, often does not appear on such lists because it shares its 94062 ZIP code with a big chunk of Redwood City and unincorporated areas.