Sixteen original Sunset magazine covers, including that of the inaugural issue in May 1898, will be on display starting April 5 at the San Mateo County History Museum at 2200 Broadway in Redwood City.
Originally a promotional magazine for the Southern Pacific Railroad, Sunset was purchased in 1929 by Lawrence W. Lane who changed the format to an emphasis on Western living.
From 1951 to 2015 Sunset was headquartered in Menlo Park. It moved last year to Oakland, with test gardens in Sonoma. The exhibit will run through June 23.