News

Menlo Park: Former resident sentenced to 70 years in prison for child-exploitation

 

Ronald Gerard Boyajian, a former resident of Menlo Park, was sentenced Aug. 1 to 70 years in federal prison after being found guilty of three child-exploitation crimes.

The sentence by a federal judge in Los Angeles includes an order to pay $40,000 in restitution to one of the victims, prosecutors said.

After a six-week trial earlier this year, Mr. Boyajian, 55, was convicted of having traveled to Cambodia with the intention of engaging in illicit sexual conduct, of engaging in such conduct with a 9-year-old girl in Cambodia, and of doing so while required to register as a sex offender under California law, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Central District of California.

U.S. District Judge Christina A. Snyder, calling Mr. Boyajian's conduct "extremely serious," imposed the maximum sentence "for the protection of the public and to deter such behavior in the future," prosecutors said.

The Cambodian National Police arrested Mr. Boyajian in February 2009 on his 35th trip to Asia over nine years. At the time, he had recently completed parole on a conviction of 22 counts of illegal sex in California with a 16-year-old minor and oral sex with a minor, also 16, in 1995.

Mr. Boyajian's victims in Cambodia were between 8 and 11 years old, "purchased" from mothers or grandmothers for the purpose of sexual abuse, prosecutors said. Mr. Boyajian was "abusive" and "cruel," one victim said at his trial. "He treated me like I wasn't even human," she said.

"After being convicted of sexually exploiting two children here in California, this defendant tried to evade justice by traveling to Cambodia to victimize even younger children," said U.S. Attorney Eileen M. Decker. "As today's sentence demonstrates, however, if you travel anywhere in the world for sex with children, the U.S. Department of Justice will be tenacious in prosecuting you and pursuing justice for the young victims of this hideous crime."

Mr. Boyajian visited the village of Svay Pak, notorious as a destination for pedophiles, and dealt with pimps and relatives of girls from impoverished Vietnamese immigrant families. He preferred victims who weighed less than 70 pounds, prosecutors said.

Agents with the U.S. Homeland Security Investigations, a division of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, were involved in the case, as were the American Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, and Homeland Security Investigations offices in Bangkok, Phnom Penh and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.

When a convicted pedophile plans a trip overseas, Homeland Security Investigations will alert local law enforcement, special agent Joseph Macias said. More than 2,100 such alerts were issued to more than 90 countries in the 2015-16 budget year, he said.

The federal prosecutors in the case were David M. Herzog and Vanessa Baehr-Jones of the Violent and Organized Crime Section.

--

Follow the Almanac on Twitter and Facebook for breaking news, local events and community news.

Dave Boyce

Comments

10 people like this
Posted by Steve
a resident of Atherton: Lloyden Park
on Aug 4, 2016 at 11:58 am

Thank God that guys off the streets! Yikes!!!!


Like this comment
Posted by Andrea Su
a resident of Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
on Aug 7, 2016 at 10:59 pm

This guy used to brag about how with little money, he can live like a king in SE Asia and does whatever he likes. He went out with multiple underage girls while in SE Asia and his family knew about this too. [part removed.] He purposely ignored the hardship and ordeal this has caused his family and still went to SE Asia for girls, against his family's repeated advises. Everyone he knew was urging him of not going to Asia, looking for girls. He didn't care his family spent a fortune to pay for his legal proceedings and fees, he just wanted to have fun. [part removed.] Karma finally catches up with him, thank God he is in prison and locked up. Some people deserve benefit of doubt and possibly second or third chances. He is not one of those people. Would he feel bad hurting those underage girls ? probably not. [part removed.]


18 people like this
Posted by Resident
a resident of Atherton: other
on Aug 7, 2016 at 11:07 pm

He was previously convicted of raping children in California. They should have thrown away the key at that time.


Like this comment
Posted by Hmmm
a resident of another community
on Aug 8, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Hmmm is a registered user.

Andrea - why would his family spend so much money defending him, and so much of their energy warning and advising him?


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

San Francisco's Urban Ritual boba pops up in Redwood City
By Elena Kadvany | 0 comments | 1,484 views

Couples: A Relationship Test . . .
By Chandrama Anderson | 2 comments | 1,148 views

Food Party! SOS
By Laura Stec | 7 comments | 939 views

Enjoy every configuration of your family
By Cheryl Bac | 4 comments | 592 views