Edwin Elias Barrientos-Soto, 19, of Menlo Park was sentenced Thursday (Aug. 10) to 12 years in state prison after pleading no contest to two felonies – assault with a firearm and witness dissuasion – in connection with a drive-by shooting in unincorporated Redwood City in May 2016, prosecutors in the San Mateo County District Attorney's Office said.
Mr. Barrientos-Soto received 509 days of credit for time already served, was ordered to pay a total of $470 in fines and not to contact the victim of the shooting – a co-defendant in another felony case from November 2015 that involved an assault with a metal pipe, prosecutors said.
Mr. Barrientos-Soto had been in jail on a bond of $2 million, prosecutors said.
The drive-by shooting, by someone in a Chrysler automobile, occurred in the 400 block of Seventh Avenue at about 1:40 p.m. on May 23 of last year, prosecutors said. The victim, who suffered a leg wound, told deputies that he'd been shot by Mr. Barrientos-Soto, the D.A.'s office reported.
A video surveillance camera in a nearby store caught images of the shooting, prosecutors said. Mr. Barrientos-Soto called the owner of the store shortly after the shooting and asked for the video recording, but the owner refused, called Sheriff's Office deputies, and turned the recording over to them, the D.A.'s report said.
When he was arrested two days later, Mr. Barrientos-Soto was sitting in the back seat of a parked Chrysler that matched the vehicle shown in the surveillance camera video, prosecutors said.