San Mateo County Supervisor David J. Canepa introduced a resolution Tuesday (Sept. 12) in favor of banning cellphone use in crosswalks.
During Tuesday's meeting, the full board unanimously passed his resolution urging state lawmakers to ban distracted walking.
"The state rightly banned texting and driving and now it's time to protect pedestrians," Mr. Canepa said.
He expressed confidence that the state Legislature will pursue a law banning the use of electronic devices in crosswalks, noting that a similar law recently was passed in Honolulu, Hawaii.
"I'm confident lives will be saved with this effort," he said.
The California Office of Traffic Safety last year proclaimed September "California Pedestrian Safety Month" in response to the increasing numbers of pedestrians killed and injured on the state's roadways.
In 2016, a total of 892 pedestrians were killed on California roadways. The pedestrian deaths were 24 percent of all roadway deaths in the state, up from 17 percent 10 years ago.