News

Menlo Park man accused of sexual assault of minors pleads not guilty, remains in custody

Randolph Haldeman, the Menlo Park man facing 20 sexual assault charges for allegedly molesting several children, pleaded not guilty at a brief hearing on Monday, Sept. 9, according to San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe.

At the same hearing, Haldeman, 59, declined to pursue a change in bail from $5 million as he had previously intended, and a preliminary hearing was scheduled for Nov. 5 in San Mateo County Superior Court.

Haldeman was initially arrested on July 25 on two counts of "lewd and lascivious acts" with boys ranging in age from 8 to 13 years; the alleged assaults took place at his home and at the Ladera Recreation Center. He was released on bail hours later.

After the arrest was reported, eight more individuals came forward to report being sexually assaulted by Haldeman and he was re-arrested on Aug. 21, according to the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office.

Although the Sheriff's Office said at the time of his arrest that Haldeman was a swim team photographer at the Ladera center, several people connected with the center have challenged that characterization, and Wagstaffe on Aug. 26 confirmed that Haldeman was only a parent volunteer rather than an employee of the center.

What's local journalism worth to you?

Support Almanac Online for as little as $5/month.

Learn more

An official at the Ladera Recreation Center declined to comment on Haldeman's role at the center when contacted by The Almanac.

Several of the molestations occurred after the victims had consumed alcohol, and involved fondling while viewing porn, Wagstaffe said. One of the alleged assaults occurred in a bathroom at St. Denis Catholic Church in Menlo Park.

Wagstaffe said last month that nine of the children interviewed by investigators reported improper lewd touching, while another case involved soliciting a sexual act with a minor with no actual contact, which is also a felony.

The soliciting charge involved a girl, and the others involved eight boys and one girl, Wagstaffe said. The victims' ages at the time of the alleged assaults ranged from 4 to 16 years old.

Many of the charges could result in a sentence of life in prison, he said. Haldeman's defense attorney Charles Smith III said Haldeman plans to fight some of the charges.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox.

Sign up

On his LinkedIn page, Haldeman describes himself as a "CEO, CMO, Innovator, Mentor." He is chief executive officer and president of Code-N, a Menlo Park-based "next-generation cloud computing company," according to the company's website.

Sheriff's investigators "believe there are potentially more victims out there and encourage anyone who had any contact, with the suspect, allowed him to be around their child/children, or believe anyone may have been victimized" to contact Detective Fava at 650-363-4192 or [email protected]; or Detective Derespini at 650-363-4055 or [email protected], a Sheriff's Office press release says.

Information from Bay City News Service was used in this report.

Follow AlmanacNews.com and The Almanac on Twitter @almanacnews, Facebook and on Instagram @almanacnews for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Menlo Park man accused of sexual assault of minors pleads not guilty, remains in custody

by / Almanac

Uploaded: Tue, Sep 10, 2019, 9:14 am

Randolph Haldeman, the Menlo Park man facing 20 sexual assault charges for allegedly molesting several children, pleaded not guilty at a brief hearing on Monday, Sept. 9, according to San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe.

At the same hearing, Haldeman, 59, declined to pursue a change in bail from $5 million as he had previously intended, and a preliminary hearing was scheduled for Nov. 5 in San Mateo County Superior Court.

Haldeman was initially arrested on July 25 on two counts of "lewd and lascivious acts" with boys ranging in age from 8 to 13 years; the alleged assaults took place at his home and at the Ladera Recreation Center. He was released on bail hours later.

After the arrest was reported, eight more individuals came forward to report being sexually assaulted by Haldeman and he was re-arrested on Aug. 21, according to the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office.

Although the Sheriff's Office said at the time of his arrest that Haldeman was a swim team photographer at the Ladera center, several people connected with the center have challenged that characterization, and Wagstaffe on Aug. 26 confirmed that Haldeman was only a parent volunteer rather than an employee of the center.

An official at the Ladera Recreation Center declined to comment on Haldeman's role at the center when contacted by The Almanac.

Several of the molestations occurred after the victims had consumed alcohol, and involved fondling while viewing porn, Wagstaffe said. One of the alleged assaults occurred in a bathroom at St. Denis Catholic Church in Menlo Park.

Wagstaffe said last month that nine of the children interviewed by investigators reported improper lewd touching, while another case involved soliciting a sexual act with a minor with no actual contact, which is also a felony.

The soliciting charge involved a girl, and the others involved eight boys and one girl, Wagstaffe said. The victims' ages at the time of the alleged assaults ranged from 4 to 16 years old.

Many of the charges could result in a sentence of life in prison, he said. Haldeman's defense attorney Charles Smith III said Haldeman plans to fight some of the charges.

On his LinkedIn page, Haldeman describes himself as a "CEO, CMO, Innovator, Mentor." He is chief executive officer and president of Code-N, a Menlo Park-based "next-generation cloud computing company," according to the company's website.

Sheriff's investigators "believe there are potentially more victims out there and encourage anyone who had any contact, with the suspect, allowed him to be around their child/children, or believe anyone may have been victimized" to contact Detective Fava at 650-363-4192 or [email protected]; or Detective Derespini at 650-363-4055 or [email protected], a Sheriff's Office press release says.

Information from Bay City News Service was used in this report.

Comments

parent
Menlo Park: Downtown
on Sep 10, 2019 at 10:04 am
parent, Menlo Park: Downtown
on Sep 10, 2019 at 10:04 am
16 people like this

He is charged with many sex crimes against many different children and is suspected of more crimes. He is a danger to society and should remain locked up until the trial is completed.


Dave M
another community
on Sep 10, 2019 at 1:41 pm
Dave M, another community
on Sep 10, 2019 at 1:41 pm
10 people like this

If these charges stick he’ll nevah get out of the slammer.


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Post a comment

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.