Suspect in 2011 murder of Menlo Park teen to answer charges | News | Almanac Online |

News

Suspect in 2011 murder of Menlo Park teen to answer charges

 

A former East Palo Alto man charged with the murder of 19-year-old Cate Fisher of Menlo Park in 2011 was held to answer on all charges in a preliminary hearing in San Mateo County Superior Court on Tuesday (Oct. 8), according to District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe.

Christian Fuentes, 28, pleaded not guilty to the murder charges on Jan. 17 after he was extradited to San Mateo County from Colorado in September of last year, Wagstaffe said.

His Superior Court arraignment will be on Oct. 23.

Fuentes was arraigned on Sept. 18, 2018, on charges of murder, attempted murder, shooting at an inhabited dwelling, being a felon in possession of a firearm, driving or taking a vehicle without consent and driving a motor vehicle without a valid driver’s license, according to the DA's office.

Fisher, 19, was a college student who had graduated from Menlo-Atherton High School and was an instructor at Menlo Park Gymnastics Center.

At 2 a.m. on July 13, 2011, she was sitting in a Chevrolet Tahoe parked in a driveway in the 2500 block of Annapolis Street in East Palo Alto with a man and another woman when three people, one of whom was later identified as Fuentes, allegedly pulled up next to them in another vehicle.

Two of them got out of the car and began shooting a 9mm firearm and .40-caliber rounds at the Chevrolet.

Investigators later determined the incident to be a “gang execution shooting,” but that Fisher, who had no gang ties, was not the target of the shooting, according to prosecutors.

Fisher was struck multiple times by the gunfire and was pronounced dead at Stanford Hospital.

The two other occupants of the Chevrolet were not hit by bullets, police said at the time. The two alleged shooters left the scene for Colorado.

The other shooter in the incident was arrested in Mexico and turned over to authorities in Colorado and will be extradited back to San Mateo County, Wagstaffe said.

The driver in the case is still in Mexico, he said.

Fuentes faces a sentence of life without the possibility of parole and is being held without bail.

---

Sign up for Almanac Express to get news updates. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Or show your support for local journalism by subscribing.

What is democracy worth to you?
Support local journalism.

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by Susie Smith good morni
a resident of Menlo Park: Sharon Heights
on Oct 9, 2019 at 12:48 pm

Thank God this was a sweet girl she was in the wrong place at the wrong time she was not driving the car she did not want to go there and your life was taken away and the gang members were not even hit She deserved a lot life she could’ve done more and many wonderful things. This is a tragedy and all this time no one was an held accountable


2 people like this
Posted by Tom
a resident of Menlo Park: Central Menlo Park
on Oct 11, 2019 at 12:39 pm

Who are the people the victim was with? What time of day or night did the shooting take place? Is the first defendant in the USA illegally?


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Email:


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox.

Anne Le Ziblatt, formerly of Tamarine and Bong Su, is back with a Vietnamese noodle bar in Redwood City
By Elena Kadvany | 7 comments | 3,548 views

Local Pols Debate Climate
By Sherry Listgarten | 11 comments | 2,907 views

Truth Matters (and so does good beer)
By Laura Stec | 3 comments | 1,099 views

You Can Help: Scents and Migraines
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 821 views

No jacket no problem
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 503 views