• Kelsey Austin-King, daughter of Susan Austin and Kern King of Menlo Park, graduated from Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota, on May 18 with a liberal arts degree in English and educational studies. Ms. King graduated magna cum laude, was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and received the Alma M. Robinson Education Prize and a Fulbright teaching assistantship to Colombia. She is a graduate of Summit Preparatory High School.
• Brooke Marsal of Menlo Park was awarded the Sociology Department prize given to a graduating senior at Connecticut College who has achieved excellence in the major and, as a consequence, is inducted into Alpha Kappa Delta, the international sociology honor society. A 2009 graduate of Sacred Heart Preparatory, Ms. Marsal is the daughter of Susan and John Marsal of Menlo Park.
• Jacob Joel Hutt of Menlo Park was awarded a bachelor of arts degree in psychology during Salve Regina University's 63rd commencement May 19 in Newport, Rhode Island. Salve Regina is a Catholic, co-educational university founded by the Sisters of Mercy. It enrolls more than 2,500 undergraduate and graduate students. Its 80-acre campus is in the heart of the Ochre Point-Cliffs National Historic District.
• Beach Roberts Dickey of Woodside, Vanessa Marie Ballanti of Emerald Hills, Nicholas Lautmann of Portola Valley, and Kelly Anne La Rue of Menlo Park graduated from the University of San Diego on May 26. Each of the students earned a bachelor's degree in marketing.
• Lori Mendelsohn, Anna Murveit and Michael Putnam, all of Portola Valley, are recent graduates of Whitman College in Walla Walla, Washington. Commencement ceremonies were held May 19.
Ms. Mendelsohn graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in biology and a minor in Spanish. She is the daughter of Andrew and Judith Mendelsohn and a graduate of Woodside High School.
Ms. Murveit received a bachelor of arts degree in geology-environmental studies. She also was the recipient of the Jan Mejer Award for Best Essay in Environmental Studies and was elected into the Whitman chapter of national research society Sigma Xi. The daughter of Leslie Airola and Hy Murveit, she is a graduate of Menlo-Atherton High School.
Mr. Putnam received a bachelor of arts degree in philosophy and religion. He is a graduate of Sacred Heart Prepartory.
This story contains 449 words.
Stories older than 90 days are available only to subscribing members. Please help sustain quality local journalism by becoming a subscribing member today.
If you are already a subscriber, please log in so you can continue to enjoy unlimited access to stories and archives. Subscriptions start at $5 per month and may be cancelled at any time.