Gas was leaking to the atmosphere through a crack in the roadway several feet away from the failed joint. Not long after firefighters arrived, they ordered nearby residents to stay indoors, an order that remained in effect for more than three hours.
The lines to be replaced, including the line with the recently failed joint, date from 1984; a similar joint failed in 2008 on the same plastic main involved in the recent failure, PG&E said. The company said it has assigned a project manager who has been in contact with Town Hall.
The June 18 incident began at about 11:20 a.m. when someone called 911 to report an odor of natural gas. Firefighters responded and around noon, issued a shelter-in-place order for residents on Valley Oak, Acorn and Bayberry streets. Firefighters went door-to-door to inform residents and would have evacuated residents in the immediate vicinity of the leak had the residents been at home, firefighters said at the time.
The shelter-in-place order was lifted at about 3:20 p.m. and by about 9 p.m., the failed joint had been repaired. During the day, PG&E conducted checks for methane in the areas of Corte Madera School, Los Trancos Road and across Alpine Road around Canyon Drive. PG&E found no leaks and no one was reported injured, Town Manager Nick Pegueros said at the time.
Until the project is complete, PG&E will be conducting monthly "special leak" surveys of the 1984 main, the statement said.
This story contains 334 words.
Stories older than 90 days are available only to subscribing members. Please help sustain quality local journalism by becoming a subscribing member today.
If you are already a subscriber, please log in so you can continue to enjoy unlimited access to stories and archives. Subscriptions start at $5 per month and may be cancelled at any time.