Burglary: Deputies arrested and booked a 20-year-old resident of unincorporated San Mateo County on suspicion of burglary in connection with the theft of items valued at $400 from a store at the Ladera Country Shopper mall on Alpine Road. The man dropped the basket of goods when confronted outside the store and fled, but deputies located the suspect's getaway vehicle and made the arrest. Jan. 27.
• Four locked bicycles were reported stolen from Menlo-Atherton High School recently. The bikes and their estimated values are: a red Specialized 15-speed ($980), a blue Specialized Sirrus Sport Hybrid 18-speed ($892), a black-and-white Specialized Sirrus Sport Hybrid 24-speed ($694), and a black-and-gray Giant ($400), along with a red helmet, bike light and lock. A student at M-A admitted stealing the Sirrus 24-speed, but did not know of its whereabouts. A surveillance camera captured an image of a possible suspect seen taking a bike and matching a description from a school employee who reportedly witnessed the incident. Police later arrested and booked a 27-year-old San Mateo man whose description matched that from the video on charges that included theft, a concealed weapon and possession. Jan 20 - 30.
• Someone stole a pair of brown Maui Jim sunglasses from an unlocked vehicle parked on Heritage Court. Estimated loss: $200. Jan. 24.
• A thief stole a "smart key" from inside an unlocked vehicle parked on McCormick Lane. Jan. 31.
• A white 2009 Acura MDX from Isabella Avenue. Inside were a Patagonia jacket ($10) and three boxed Lucid futons ($800). Jan. 31.
• A blue and green 2000 Honda Civic parked at Menlo-Atherton High School at 555 Middlefield Road. Police recovered the vehicle the next day on Menlo Oaks Drive in Menlo Park. Jan. 31.
Assault with deadly weapon: Police arrested and booked into jail a 43-year-old Fremont man on suspicion of assault and vandalism in connection with a road rage incident on Bayfront Expressway. The incident began at the traffic light at Chrysler Avenue when a man driving a blue Nissan Rogue allegedly cut in front of another man driving a truck. The truck driver reacted by flashing his high beams at the Rogue, police said. "A barrage of cursing" by both drivers ensued, followed by the Rogue driver emerging and throwing a pair of pliers at the truck, shattering its windshield, police said. The Rogue driver approached the truck driver's door, pliers in hand, and began a physical altercation that left the truck driver with a lacerated forehead, police said. A passenger in the truck called 911 and the Rogue driver drove off, police said. The Rogue driver, police said, told a different story, that he'd had a drink thrown at him and had been threatened by the truck lurching in his direction. Medics took the truck driver to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Jan. 31.
Assault: A resident of Pierce Road told police that the father of her child had choked her and pulled her hair after an argument, and that she was uninjured and did not need assistance. Police were unable to find the suspect, but issued a warrant for his arrest on suspicion of spousal battery. Jan. 28.
Fraud: A resident of Oakfield Lane told police that she was contacted by someone purporting to be her grandson, saying he needed $20,000 wired to a bank account to post bail and avoid being jailed. She sent the money as a cashier's check, then contacted her bank to try to stop payment. It's not clear whether that effort was successful and the investigation continues. Jan. 29.
Auto burglary: Someone smashed a window on a vehicle parked in the 300 block of Sharon Park Drive and stole a handbag, a makeup bag, a scarf, prescription glasses, a leather tote bag with a laptop computer inside and a yellow umbrella. Estimated loss: $5,200. Jan. 31.
• A thief stole a pair of sunglasses from an unlocked vehicle parked in a driveway in the 500 block of El Camino Real. Estimated loss: $1,500. Jan. 31.
• Someone stole a purse from an unattended shopping cart at the Safeway supermarket at 525 El Camino Real. Estimated loss: $388. Jan. 30.
• A thief took an unlocked bicycle parked in front of the Belle Haven branch of the Menlo Park public library on Ivy Drive. Estimated loss: $200. Jan. 27.
• Someone stole a locked bike from the parking lot of the Safeway supermarket at 525 El Camino Real. Estimated loss: $200. Jan. 31.
• Police are looking for a woman suspected of stealing a bra and underpants from Ela Lingerie on Chestnut Street. A store employee busy with another customer reported a woman walking in, making a quick circuit of the store and leaving. The missing lingerie led the employee to suspect they'd been stolen by the woman. Estimated loss: $186. Jan. 29.
• Someone stole an unlocked bike from in front of an apartment complex on Pierce Road. Estimated loss: $150. Jan. 27.
• A man using a locker room at SRI International reported the theft of his wallet. Estimated loss: $30. Jan 30.
• Police are looking for two women who allegedly stole alcoholic beverages from Draeger's Market on University Drive. The women left the store without paying for beverages they'd loaded into a shopping cart and a hand-held bag. A Drager's "loss prevention agent" met them outside the store, where they reportedly fled in a 1990s baby blue Ford Taurus with the bag of beverages, leaving behind the beverages in the shopping cart.
This story contains 939 words.
Stories older than 90 days are available only to subscribing members. Please help sustain quality local journalism by becoming a subscribing member today.
If you are already a subscriber, please log in so you can continue to enjoy unlimited access to stories and archives. Subscriptions start at $5 per month and may be cancelled at any time.