Menlo Park pastor pleads no contest to sex crimes against teen parishioners | March 7, 2018 | Almanac | Almanac Online |


News - March 7, 2018

Menlo Park pastor pleads no contest to sex crimes against teen parishioners

by Kate Bradshaw

A pastor of a Menlo Park church has pleaded no contest to three felonies: two counts of sexual battery and one count of molesting a child 13 or younger.

Ever Oliveros-Cano, 50, of Menlo Park, was arrested last June on suspicion of sexually molesting three teens who attended the church he led as pastor, El Senor Justicia Nuestra Church, located in the 1300 block of Chilco Street in Menlo Park. The church leases space from Greater Friendship Baptist Church.

His plea comes on the condition of a maximum of eight years in state prison.

According to prosecutors, Mr. Oliveros-Cano sexually molested, on separate occasions, three teenage girls — two sisters and a friend — who were 13, 15, and 17 at the time. The crimes allegedly occurred while Mr. Oliveros-Cano claimed to be praying with or "cleansing" them, at the church office and a small house next to the church.

Two years later, one of the victims reported the crimes to a therapist, who then reported the information to the Menlo Park Police Department.

As pastor, he had used another name: Victor Elizandro Tax-Gomez.

Mr. Oliveros-Cano was initially charged with seven felonies: several counts of digital penetration in addition to sexual battery and child molestation and pleaded not guilty to the charges.

He was previously arrested by border patrol agents in July 2003 after attempting to illegally enter the U.S., according to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) spokesperson James Schwab.

After Mr. Oliveros-Cano was arrested in 2017, he initially posted bail June 2, and county law enforcement officials coordinated with agents from ICE to transfer custody to that agency.

At the time, Mr. Schwab said the agency planned to place Mr. Oliveros-Cano in proceedings to be removed from the U.S.

He was brought back to county custody after the court agreed to a request by the prosecution to increase his bail to $250,000 from $100,000, according to District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe, and remains in jail on $250,000 bail.

He is scheduled to be sentenced April 13.


There are no comments yet for this post

Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?

Choose a category: *

Since this is the first comment on this story a new topic will also be started in Town Square! Please choose a category that best describes this story.

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields


Calling all photographers!

Enter your best shots in the 2018 Peninsula Photo Contest. Open to anyone who lives, works or attends school within the 650 area code. There are both Adult and Youth divisions and six different categories to submit your digital images. Deadline for entries is Monday, April 2.

See Details