Rotary Club of Menlo Park Foundation President Chris Brosterhous said the scholarship funds are derived from contributions by club members, investments from former members and donors and club fundraising events such as the Tour de Menlo bicycle ride held every year in August. (This year's ride is Aug. 18.)
In addition to the Alice Kleeman awards, other scholarships in varying amounts were given to 17 students chosen by the Rotary Club's scholarship committee, whose members interviewed student applicants. The scholastic achievement awards went to students from Eastside College Prep, Menlo-Atherton, Sacred Heart Prep, and Menlo School.
The awards event began with a concert by the Menlo-Atherton Jazz Band. Tara Vanderveer, Hall of Fame coach of the Stanford women's basketball team and Kaylee Johnson, a senior on the women's team, combined to give an inspiring talk titled "Make a Difference," which was aimed at the students in the audience.
The scholastic achievement awards were presented by the principals of each school.
Here are the names of the scholarships and the recipient's name, high school, and college he or she will attend.
• John D. Russell Scholarship: Maria Gutierrez-Orozco, Sacred Heart, Santa Clara University.
• Crittenden Family Scholarship: Diamond Allen, Eastside Prep, Holy Names University.
• Robert G. Paroli Family Scholarship: Fernanda Moreno-Rubio, M-A, UC-Riverside.
• Doris and Orm Rector Scholarship: Clairesina Fifita, Sacred Heart, UC-Merced.
• Barbara and Tom Borden Scholarship: Lizbeth Aguilar, Sacred Heart, USC.
• Business and Professional Scholarship: Abigail Bernal-Diaz, Eastside Prep, UC-Santa Barbara.
• Tsui/Tsiang Family Math & Science Scholarship: Liset Naranjo-Cardenas, Eastside Prep, UC-Santa Cruz.
• Menlo Park Rotary Foundation Scholarships: Rondavid Babiera, Menlo School, University of Chicago; Nia Combs, Sacred Heart, Whitman College; Vanessa Gurrola-Mariscal, Eastside Prep, Williams College; Clarissa Guzman, Eastside Prep, Carlton College; Wanjiru Kimani, Eastside Prep, Saint Lawrence University; Mirian Melendez, Sacred Heart, Loyola-Marymount University; Cynthia Valencia, M-A, UC-Santa Barbara.
• Peninsula College Fund/Rotary Club of Menlo Park Scholarship: Leslie Ortega
• Drue Kataoka Arts Scholarship: Lara Karadogan, Sofia Karadogan.
• Alice Kleeman Community College Awards (given to M-A students only): Christina Herrera Pena, Adilene Ledezma Macias, Wuendi Ochoa, Luis Resendiz, Jonathan Salinas-Jaimes.
This story contains 404 words.
Stories older than 90 days are available only to subscribing members. Please help sustain quality local journalism by becoming a subscribing member today.
If you are already a subscriber, please log in so you can continue to enjoy unlimited access to stories and archives. Subscriptions start at $5 per month and may be cancelled at any time.