The need-based scholarships, totaling more than $75,000, included $60,000 for students attending four-year colleges, and $15,000 for those going to community colleges and the recipient of an arts scholarship. Students from Eastside College Preparatory, Sacred Heart Preparatory and Menlo-Atherton received scholarships and academic awards. The academic honors also went to students from Menlo School and Mid-Peninsula High School.
The students who received the scholastic awards were selected by their school. The awards were handed out by school principals and headmasters as parents, friends and fellow students looked on at the Menlo-Atherton Performing Arts Center on May 7. The ceremony was preceded by an uplifting address from Bret Simon, a trainer for the Positive Coaching Alliance and former Stanford men's soccer coach.
Rotary Club president Bill Senner welcomed the students to the event and Rotary Club Foundation president John Flegel handed out the scholarships. Club member Michelle Tsui presented her family's math and science scholarship, awarded every year to a top-performing young woman, and Drue Kataoka presented the arts scholarship endowed by her work.
Here are the recipients of this year's Rotary Club of Menlo Park scholarship awards:
• Tsui/Tsiang Family Math and Science Scholarship to Angelica Perez, Eastside Prep, who is headed to Yale.
• Judge John D. Russell Scholarship to Catherine Mullings, Sacred Heart, who is headed to Stanford.
• Robert G. Paroli Family Scholarship to Chrishanae Neal, Eastside Prep, who is headed to Wellesley.
• Doris and Orm Rector Scholarship to Eduardo Lopez, Eastside Prep, who is headed to Wesleyan.
• Ed Mintz Scholarships to Daniela Gomez-Jaimes, Eastside Prep, going to Berkeley, and Adriana Zuno, Sacred Heart, who is headed to Santa Clara.
• Crittenden Family Scholarship to Daniel Noriega-Diaz, Eastside Prep, who is headed to Pitzer.
• Business and Professional Scholarship to George Nickings II, Eastside Prep, who is headed to St. Olaf.
• Menlo Park Rotary Foundation Scholarships to Katherine Garcia, Eastside, Loyola Marymount; Carlos Hernandez, Eastside, UC Davis; Lauren Longmire, Eastside, UC Riverside; Lindsay McCray, Eastside, Santa Clara; Gavin Rea, M-A, Mount Alison; and Silvia Vasquez, Eastside, MIT.
• Drue Kataoka Arts Scholarship to Kailin Rasmussen of M-A.
• Tom Borden grants for community college scholarships went to Josephine Bauzon, Amanda Harden, Daniel Kopisch, Colin McGill and Rafael Rios, all of M-A.
• Rotary Foundation Awards for community college scholarships went to Juan Francisco Gonzalez, Courtnie Roache and Richard Tran, all of M-A.