Firefighters made sure that the power was off and the affected electrical panel locked down and tagged so that it would not be re-energized accidentally, Mr. Stevens said. The school is located at 195 Encinal Ave. at the intersection with Middlefield Road.
The fire was in the kiln room, school Principal Sharon Burns said in a letter to parents released the same day. "The building was quickly evacuated and all students were accounted for within minutes," Ms. Burns said. "We immediately shut down the electrical (power) and staff used a fire extinguisher before any damage occurred. Fire and police responded immediately."
The kiln room was undamaged by the fire and art classes resumed after lunch, Ms. Burns said.
This story contains 181 words.
Stories older than 90 days are available only to subscribing members. Please help sustain quality local journalism by becoming a subscribing member today.
If you are already a subscriber, please log in so you can continue to enjoy unlimited access to stories and archives. Subscriptions start at $5 per month and may be cancelled at any time.