A Veteran Baker and Devoted Father

Original post made by Michele Page, Menlo Park: Downtown, on Oct 14, 2007

I am witing the Menlo Park community to inform them of a pending triple bypass open heart operation for my father Gerald Stagi scheduled for Monday October 15th in the am at The Washingtom Hospital in Freemont. My Father has lived and served The Menlo Park and Atherton Community with his spectacular art creations from the time he was working for his father founder of the pink pastry shoppe on santa cruze ave. menlo park at the young age of 17 to the cakes of today from Gerry's Cakes of Menlo Park on Chestnut street. He has been a career baker all his working life for 50 years and has probablly made a least one of the cakes your family has enjoyed over the years, he fell ill on Monday October 8th and regrets not being able to resume immediately to his work for the week for the love of his trade with the news he wouldn't be leaving the hospital any time before the next week or two after his operation. The point is his daughter, myself, being the fourth generation baker after him I realize the dedication to both family but also to his clients the people of Menlo Park and was wondering if any of you might have a fond memory of him or his cakes to cheer him up in hopes his recovery will be speedy.

Posted by Joanna
on Oct 14, 2007 at 6:46 pm

Mr Stagi is a cornerstone in Menlo Park that we all can be proud of. The cakes are always outstanding. Our prayers to you for a speedy recovery!!!

Posted by Deborah
on Oct 15, 2007 at 10:05 am

My prayers are with your dear father.

Posted by Old Timer
on Oct 15, 2007 at 10:22 am

Your father brought joy to all my children whose birthday's were graced by cakes from the Pink Pastry. We all wish him well.It's the little independent shops in the Mid Peninsula that have given us the authentic American experience. I wouldn't buy a birthday cake at Costco if you gave me the money.

Posted by Paula
on Oct 15, 2007 at 8:40 pm

Gerry's Cakes and the Pink Pastry before it have been a part of every family celebration, including my wedding. Whenever we come "home" to Menlo Park, the trip wouldn't be complete without a trip to Gerry's for a cookie or two and a Maryland Creme cake for my dad's birthday.

All our best wishes for a speedy recovery!

The Caryotakis family, Plymouth, MN

Posted by Michele Page
on Oct 16, 2007 at 7:07 am

Thank you all for your blessings and well wishes, Gerry is up and talking this morning and I can't wait to read to him the responses... Sincerely ,Michele

Posted by joannaas
on Oct 16, 2007 at 4:07 pm

Your father has made the cakes for my kids' celebrations for the last 10 years, they always make me smile, from the bob the builder cake with candy boulders to the barbie cake with the magnificant pink and purple skirt. Thanks for making our community a better place to live.

Posted by Christine Backeroff
on May 1, 2008 at 10:17 pm

I hope he is feeling better :)

Posted by Name hidden
a resident of Menlo Park: Suburban Park/Lorelei Manor/Flood Park Triangle

on Sep 9, 2017 at 7:10 am

Due to repeated violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are automatically removed. Why?